Thread: G'day - new Cairns member

G'day - new Cairns member

Hi guys,

Technically I'm not in Cairns at the moment but I'm moving back (was raised in Cairns) after far, far too long away. It's not important where I am at the moment, what is important is that it's cold! Time to go back to wet season, dry season, repeat..

I've been lucky enough to do a lot of fishing around the fantastic country of ours, from catching macks and spearing crays in the Torres Strait, to fly fishing in the snowy lakes area and Tassie (started learning to fly fish purely with NQ and resident fish in mind, ended up loving fly fishing for trout, well fly fishing for anything really).

I'm fairly new to the SP world but I'm keen to practice some more, I grew up using a handline for everything so guess I've evolved as I'm now @$#%house at using a handline we even used to throw small slice lures with a handline as kids, and it worked but it was hard work.

It's been that many years since I threw a castnet that I'd better practice in the backyard or it may be a comedy spectacle for onlookers, plus I used to do the shoulder cast and I'm pretty keen to learn the two hand, no shoulder cast... the wet shoulder is fine on warm days but sucks on the windy, cold (for NQ) days.

Anyway, when I'm not fishing I've got far too many hobbies including scuba-diving, snorkelling and watching fights (mainly mixed martial arts like ufc etc).

Cheers guys, some fantastic posts on here and I look forward to posting some fishing reports, particularly as my wife and I slowly fish from Bundy to Cairns in about six weeks time (roughly); can't wait! Am also already trying to talk my wife into a much needed fishing trip north of Cairns around the Cooktown area...

Nicko.

Re: G'day - new Cairns member

Glad to have you on board Nicko.

Look me up when you get here and I'll show you an easy two-handed way to throw that cast net in about 5 minutes. No wet shoulders, less chance of getting stung, etc..

cheers

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Glad to have you on board Nicko.

Look me up when you get here and I'll show you an easy two-handed way to throw that cast net in about 5 minutes. No wet shoulders, less chance of getting stung, etc..

cheers

Richard
    Thanks Richard, sounds like a plan but exercise in December is likely to dehydrate us, so I'd better bring a beer or two for us

I concur... it's hard work...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I concur... it's hard work...
    there may also be the possibility of a post- net casting assessment being required with your critical review of my application of your technique etc.. that could take one or two beers also...

cheers mate, see you soon!

Welcome aboard mate. You didn't miss much this year with the weather!!
    Let's hope you bring some calm stuff with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    Welcome aboard mate. You didn't miss much this year with the weather!!
    Let's hope you bring some calm stuff with you.
    Thanks Daintreeboy, I've ordered some 5-10kt winds...see what happens I plan to fish Snapper Island every now and then, what boat are you in? If I see you at the ramp I'll say G'day. Do you launch in the river, or on the coast?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    Thanks Daintreeboy, I've ordered some 5-10kt winds...see what happens I plan to fish Snapper Island every now and then, what boat are you in? If I see you at the ramp I'll say G'day. Do you launch in the river, or on the coast?
    It varies mate. I go with my brother quite often in his 6 metre polycraft CC with a full canopy. It's called pressure point.

My boat is an old wooden one I bought off my dad who built it back when I was a young teenager. it's 16 foot and another centre console. No name sticker yet but I'm going to call it Driftwood .

We usually sit on CH 81 up this way until we engage in a chat with someone.

We launch from the Daintree boat ramp often only becasue the Rocky point ramp can get sand build up and is not attended to very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    It varies mate. I go with my brother quite often in his 6 metre polycraft CC with a full canopy. It's called pressure point.

My boat is an old wooden one I bought off my dad who built it back when I was a young teenager. it's 16 foot and another centre console. No name sticker yet but I'm going to call it Driftwood .

We usually sit on CH 81 up this way until we engage in a chat with someone.

We launch from the Daintree boat ramp often only becasue the Rocky point ramp can get sand build up and is not attended to very well.
    Ok sweet name, I'll have a chat with you sometime mate. I plan on doing a lot of trolling/marking around there to see what's around (exploring is part of the fun!).

I'm not a mark-hunter, I prefer to find my own so I'll leave you alone if I see you anchored on the horizon etc. Plus I'll mainly be out mid-week less crowds and annoying followers...

Beer at the ramp one day perhaps.