Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Online

Re: Buying Online

Edit I quoted Horse intead of the post I intended

Why would a Shimano Stradic ci4 2500 be different here than in america?

What is the exact difference if you will? What would they need to build differently?

Got my Stradic today and it looks identical to me The warrenty blurb at the start of the new shimano catalouge makes it sound like I would have difficulty claiming warrenty though i dont belive i will need it.... hand firmly grasping wood 1 2 3
    "It's not a sport if the other team doesn't want to play"

F.R.

Brisbane Roar 2010/2011 Champions!!

Shimano Australia guarantee 12 months warranty on all imported reels but if bought locally they offer up to 10 years warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by sarg View Post
    I will hopefully take delivery (i'm scared now that some dodgey postal worker may steal it) of my new stradic ci4 2500 reel tomorrow. Got it from ebay $205 delivered from a florida tackle shop. Going to get my rod from over here though.
    GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

A couple of tips, keep it under $1000 Aus inc postage & insurance.
    And be aware that some pivate sellers have been using the shells of very top shelf reels from the big 2, and rebuilding them with the insides of much, much cheeper rubish reels of the same brand.
    Here's a link about it http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/bb3...hp?f=8&t=12182 Also on that link you'll read that the Manager of Daiwa Australia has posted there himself to say there is no warranty for reels bought overseas, (which was new to me)

Also some of the big dealers in the US will get several thousand units of a popular model reel made just for them. It will still be called the same model but it can have less bearings, pull less drag, have cheaper parts ect ect but for all intensive purposes still look the same. These are usually displayed on the front page of their website and sold at a huge discount of the normal price for that model reel. Dissapointed buyers then often onload these reels through Ebay.

Some bargins to be had, but don't be had yourself.

Cheers

Just received my Shimano Baitrunner 8000D from Gary at reel fishing deals. Price aside (50% cheaper than here), I couldn't be more impressed with the service and speed of delivery. Gary sent me numerous emails thanking me for my business and letting me know that the reel had been sent etc. In comparison, a lot of dealers (not all) here in Oz fall far short of the mark when it comes to service imho.

As far as warranties are concerned, they are as good as useless. I have never actually had any repairs covered under warranty as it seems to fall under the "normal wear & tear" clause that companies like to hide behind. Spending some time/money performing regular preventative maintenance seems to keep my reels in good working order anyway.

I have a couple reels on order from this mob

http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/

Freight was $30 which reduces the saving a bit but it was still worthwhile. More importantly - I bought a bunch of lures that Mo's sell for $46 each. Got them for $19 each. There is just no excuse for that sort of mark up.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    I have a couple reels on order from this mob

http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/

Freight was $30 which reduces the saving a bit but it was still worthwhile. More importantly - I bought a bunch of lures that Mo's sell for $46 each. Got them for $19 each. There is just no excuse for that sort of mark up.
    great place to buy Loomis and shimano ...... fast deliveries too

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks for feedback Crew.

Yep Brenno I suppose I don't need anymore as you have seen my Rod Room but hey your hear for a good time not a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    And be aware that some pivate sellers have been using the shells of very top shelf reels from the big 2, and rebuilding them with the insides of much, much cheeper rubish reels of the same brand.
    The linked article only refers to used Daiwa reels - "The reels appear to to just be run of the mill used reels with average wear on the outside."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

A couple of tips, keep it under $1000 Aus inc postage & insurance.
    Here's a link about it http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/bb3...hp?f=8&t=12182 Also on that link you'll read that the Manager of Daiwa Australia has posted there himself to say there is no warranty for reels bought overseas, (which was new to me)

Also some of the big dealers in the US will get several thousand units of a popular model reel made just for them. It will still be called the same model but it can have less bearings, pull less drag, have cheaper parts ect ect but for all intensive purposes still look the same. These are usually displayed on the front page of their website and sold at a huge discount of the normal price for that model reel. Dissapointed buyers then often onload these reels through Ebay.

Some bargins to be had, but don't be had yourself.

Cheers
    Got mine in good nic, though i did open it at the post office because the reel is so damned lite I though it was missing

I notice on the invoice the guys put the cost down as $48 to possibly avoid any added tax well thats how i read it anyway. I wish I had enough spare cash to spend to take it to the grand but alas no.

I'm going to sell some gear I dont use to try and grab another reel before the dollar goes down. I brought some golf clubs when the dollar was 90c spewing I didnt wait though I still saved $500 plus
    "It's not a sport if the other team doesn't want to play"

F.R.

Brisbane Roar 2010/2011 Champions!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal View Post
    Thanks for feedback Crew.

Yep Brenno I suppose I don't need anymore as you have seen my Rod Room but hey your hear for a good time not a long time.
    Yeah Stephen, you don't need any more 'Bling' on your back deck , has us mere mortals with our TLD's envious as it is .
    Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_P View Post
    The linked article only refers to used Daiwa reels - "The reels appear to to just be run of the mill used reels with average wear on the outside."
    Yeh that's right, Daiwa have had about 30 sent in for repairs after being bought from private sellers on Ebay.

I heard on the ABC today that the Retailers Assoc is calling on the Fed Gov to bring the GST that's placed on imports down from the $1000 threshold to be in line with other countries. Apparently (they claimed) most countries with a GST work off a zero threshold and a GST is applied to all private imports regardless of value. Their Assoc is asking for the threshold to be immeadiatly dropped to $400 to match New Zealand then over time phase in a reduction to zero. It could be appealing to the Gov because GST revenue falls as more and more people shop offshore. If it goes to zero it would be one big extra burdon for Aus-Post and couriers as it's the carrier's responsability to identify the goods for GST.