Thread: newbie kayaks question

newbie kayaks question

g day all as an older dad thats discovered the joy of fishing (landbased)ive watched u guys kayaking everywhere,in the rivers etc.hope this isnt a stupid question do the peddle ones aid steering or are the to propel you?anyhow ive decided i cant afford a boat and was thinking of hiring a kayak to try fishing in one and maybe get one to give the kids and i some fun.are they pretty safe,plus im nearly 50 and although i still play cricket would a kayak kill me.lol.if maybe someones got one sitting around for a $100 let me know,lol.regards john

Re: newbie kayaks question

There are 2 kinds of pedals. Proper kayaks i.e.. ones you paddle have foot operated rudders and the other kind use them for propulsion like a bicycle and have a hand operated rudder.

As for your age there are lots of guys much older than you that do very well and cover large distances chasing fish.

ok sounds good,thanks for that.my missus didnt believe me some had peddles and then got me thinking about there purpose.john

my wife and I have a twin kayak..pedal power..rudder by hand control. We are both older than you. Great way to be on the water.

I'm 50 and I have 2 of them, it won't kill you, actually it may just make you healthier.
    Check out the dedicated kayak fishing forums of which I am a member of 3 of them, they have a buy and sell section, where you might just pick up a bargain. Even this forum has a section i think, but being a general fishing forum, you will have to look a little harder.