Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: shark shield

shark shield

hey guys i just got given a shark shield from a mate and its for surfing. i was just wondering if i can use it for spearfishing or is it a waste of time. cheers steve

Re: shark shield

Pretty sure they,re the same unit without the ankle strap. You could probably get onto sharkshield and buy the ankle strap by itself.

I've got the Freedom7 for diving.
    The surfboard unit has a longer antenna for more constant immersion in the water.
    Freedom7 - 2.2m
    Surf - 2.8m
    The main control unit looks the same with just a different mounting kit, so I would think it is the same.
    Give their main office a call and ask them 08 8241 5005, might just need the pouch as dazmc1 said and if you want to you could probably buy the shorter antenna.
    I know the 2.2m antenna can be a pain at times, especially when stopping in a duck diving, it falls between your legs and zaps your family jewels

Why dont you just run the shark shield of your float?? This will save the zapping issues! ( it does give you a buzz when it gets you!!)
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

thanks for the help guys and finding time thants a good idea but does this mean ill have to shorten the rope to the float then

No i dont think so , Shark shields work very well and although they say they only have a 6m zone in reality i've seen them many many times chase big sharks away from the area entirely!! They just dont like them! If you put it on the float you'll basically have a " Haven" that you can come back to if you get a problem shark in the area that just wont go away and is getting more and more aggresive!

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Why dont you just run the shark shield of your float?? This will save the zapping issues! ( it does give you a buzz when it gets you!!)
    I might give that a go when not scuba diving.
    Could stop the family jewels from glowing in the dark.

Ian

Strap on courage.. pmsl.

1 of my mates straps his to his float and it works a treat but if the thing comes within 5m of me it fries the f*ck out of my teeth and he has the same trouble with his temples so I wont even turn it off or on for him. They do work really well on sharks and the float option is the go but I have also witnessed them spooking unseen fish from holes in the reef and sending them bolting to another plannet so we try to leave it turned off unless we have a bad shark annoying us and this tends to see it left in the boat too often. Great bit of kit though so I'm not being negative about it I just cant use it cause it fries me. Shame too.

Quote Originally Posted by 1770JOSH View Post
    Strap on courage.. pmsl.
    Couldn't agree more. Ditch the shield and harden up or take up another sport...

they are rubbish IMO

Why are they rubbish Kokomo?? You dont think they work or they just the " soft option" for the "real man"??

i think they are great! I've taken to using mine on a rope below my boat when im having trouble with sharks stealing fish when im bottom fishing out on the shoals aswell as for spearing. Works a treat! Can be loosing every fish we hook and then send it down and the problem goes completely!

Quote Originally Posted by Badone View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Ditch the shield and harden up or take up another sport...
    Silly false bravery comment

My sport also includes photographing sharks, no shield or speargun.

I also started diving when there were no buoyancy vest and spare regulator, now a common part of scuba diving. Back then there were lots of so called super heroes who thought it was soft to use these things (my self included) now these things are part of the comfort of the sport.

A healthy respect for your environment is not soft it is smart. Maybe one day you will learn

Quote Originally Posted by Defore View Post
    Silly false bravery comment

My sport also includes photographing sharks, no shield or speargun.

I also started diving when there were no buoyancy vest and spare regulator, now a common part of scuba diving. Back then there were lots of so called super heroes who thought it was soft to use these things (my self included) now these things are part of the comfort of the sport.

A healthy respect for your environment is not soft it is smart. Maybe one day you will learn
    Spot on! If you want to use one i reckon it's a very smart idea! My years ago when i did a fair bit of spearing i would have loved to have the option of using a shark shield, it certainly would have been piece of mind for me and definately would have been better for a few sharks that met an untimely end because they were a little to curious! We used one of the first shark shields for deco diving , they were only water resistant to around 20m so it had to remain attached to the deco station during the dive and we were able to use it once we got to the 18m stop, many times i would have loved one of the newer ones that i could keep near for the whole dive! We had a VERY VERY large Tiger( 6+M) buzz us at 85m one day and it was so close that i could have run my finger down it whole body as it pass the first time! It was to hang around for 25min till we got to the 18m stop and turned the unit on, i've had plenty of experience with sharks but that was very intimidating!

Ian

Ps i'm suprised more fisho's dont use them as in places like DI when the sharks can be unmanageable they would be very useful!