Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: shark shield

Re: shark shield

Dezzer sharks have great electrical sensitivity and use it in the final part of an attack. The shark shield is designed to upset this sensitivity, making it uncomfortable for the shark.
    I've had fish sitting right next to the antenna and not even seem to care. If you place your hand a few inches away from the antenna you do not even feel anything, touching it is a different sensation, it is like touching an electric fence.

From Wikipedia :-
    The Ampullae of Lorenziniare the electroreceptor organs. They number in the hundreds to thousands. Sharks use the Ampullae of Lorenzini to detect the electromagnetic fields that all living things produce.This helps sharks (particularly the hammerhead shark ) find prey. The shark has the greatest electrical sensitivity of any animal. Sharks find prey hidden in sand by detecting the electric fields they produce.

Ian

I have seen fish spooked by shark shields, They come flying out of holes where we did not see them n they take right off no looking back but most of the time this is not the case. A mate of mine has a freedom 7 and puts it on his float as he cant wear it hurts his temples bad and if I go within a couple of meters of it the nerves in my teeth light up real bad. but others wear them no prob. On the float works fine for us

interesting tests.

That's a good video.
    Still proves you are nuts to stick around when sharks get into a feeding frenzy.
    My brother got chase into shallow water by a black tip. He had been watching black tips in a feeding frenzie when one broke off from the others and started zig zagging towards him. He swam backwards right up onto the top of the coral bommie. Only when it was too shallow for the shark did it leave the area. My brother signaled to the dive boat to send over the dingy to pick him off the coral.
    He carried the nickname "Shark Lure" for the rest of the trip.

Ian