Thread: Dual Battery VSR - Earthing Question

Dual Battery VSR - Earthing Question

Hi Team

Just installed a Voltage Sensistive Relay for a dual battery setup.

Just unsure about the Earth wire on the VSR. Can I earth it to a negative post on either battery or do I need to find a non-battery spot for it ?

Diagram of set up following.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Sunshine Coast - Kevlacat 5.2

Re: Dual Battery VSR - Earthing Question

Steve
    When i fitted mine i just earthed it to the negative on 1 of the batteries .
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

The end result is all ground points should be connected to each other
    chassis or terminal post

In boats we realy should not be using the word ground......so substitute the word negative and all becomes clear.

Some VSRs in some situations can be a little fussy anout where you get the negative reference from.....but in most boat everything is usually so close together it does not matter as long as all connections are good.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

[QUOTE=oldboot;1213652]In boats we realy should not be using the word ground......so substitute the word negative and all becomes clear.

Some VSRs in some situations can be a little fussy anout where you get the negative reference from.....but in most boat everything is usually so close together it does not matter as long as all connections are good.

cheers[/QUOTE

so on the fuel flow gauge I am installing where it says " connect to DC input voltage Ground" it really means connect to -negative terminal of bus bar?
    thanks for your help.

Hi Steve and as oldboot posted, if your batteries are close, just connect the earth lead to the negative of the main battery.

If your batteries are fair distance from one another, you should try to mount the VSR as close as convenient to the cranking battery.

In worst case scenarios, if the VSR is some distance from the main battery, ( and the power supply ), and your auxiliary battery is in a low state, the length of cables, both the main positive and the thinner earth wire, between the main battery and your VSR, can get sufficient voltage drop that it will cause the VSR oscillates on-off-on-off.

The earthing reference is really for vehicles where they use the chassis as a -ve. You should not do this in a boat.

Cheers
    Chris

I connected all my -ve's to a single point and when I got my new motor the person who rewired my boat stuck with the same principle although he did a 200% better job than I did and I gave him carte blanche to do what he needed to do.