Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Competition Prizes

Competition Prizes

My company along with a few others will be hosting an OFFSHORE, Pelagic species only fishing comp off Gladstone next August to raise money for a couple of good causes but after now attending a few comps and looking at the prizes on offer, was wondering what fishermen really wanted as prizes?
    Reels and boats and rods etc seem to be the order of the day but most of us already have this stuff so the prizes become unwanted.
    So if you lot can put in some ideas on what you would REALLY want as prizes I will make sure that we don't have the usual boring giveaways at the first tournament.

The competition will be called the
    MOTORWORLD OFFSHORE CLASSIC and will be held in mid to late August of 2011
    ALL monies raised through entries and sponsorship will go to non-for-profit organisations, one such being ECOfish QLD. Another being VMR ...
    No bottom bashing, just the savages of the ocean...
    Shoot me a PM if you want to know more closer to the comp.
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

Re: Competition Prizes

People.

NEWBY has asked a question here and I know it was covered before in a forum, but... that topic was interrupted by negative posts regarding what people do in comps when big prizes are on offer.

SO< let's just have a response to the question, and not delve into the why's and why nots !!!!

IMO....

To have the prizes directly relating to the competitors result in a specific category is a must. ( example.... some comps give whiting rods as a prize for winner of the Snapper category ?? )

I also like the " random draw " side of most comps..

Cheers Phill

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

How about say a weeks accomodation at a local place. That way after seeing how beautiful the area is, someone can come back and visit later on. If you know what I mean.

I also am a fan of random draws, with every entrant having a ticket in the draw.

Mike

how about instead of (say) a $200 rod, the winner gets a gift voucher for that amount to spend at a sponsors store, that way the sponsor still gets recognition, the winner gets some gear that he/she really wants, and it is not exactly "cash", we have run a few comps like this, seems to work OK, of course some sponsors like (say) Shimano prefer to donate a reel, simply because they do not have a retail store, and I guess the item may cost them bugger all. The random draw is also a great way to get everyone on an even footing.

P.S: I will be booking the week off with work and the boss ( read - wife )

I will be there, sounds like a date to me.

Mike

I would be more inclined to come along and join in a fishing comp where the prizes for biggest and best are more along the lines of trophy etc and then the other prizes be random lucky draws etc....
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 06-10-2010 at 10:45 AM.

regardless whether the "prizes" consist of goods, cash or trophies, I believe that if it is a fishing comp then all "prizes" are awarded for fishing results. Not a random draw where someone who may not have even been fishing can win the major prize.

Went through this scenario as a competitor not long back. Managed to scrape up the winning jew at a comp. Cash prize for biggest of species was great I could spend it on what I wanted. I did receive a rod as a nightly prize for biggest of species on that day. Fantastic, but i will never use the rod that was allocated as the nightly prize....can i swap it for something I will use? "No, do you know how many people ask if they can swap their rod for something they will use?" Apparently heaps. Yes I can see the problem for the sponsors and event organisers, long and the short of it is easily redeamable vouchers in my opinion are best although they dont look as good on display up on the stage.

After being in many comps one thing that frustrates many is some of the prizes given for daily winners and also final winners. Getting rods/reels etc thats does not suit the catergory of species you have won it for seems kind of pointless.

I think the money is always a favorite among anglers so they can put it towards the cost of the trip or towards there own prefered fishing gear.

The many comp fishos i know who win would love to keep the big made up cheque/banner thats presented to them on stage which states the species etc...This is given back to and to me suggests that people just want something to show/remember their catch with so I would suggest trophys are a great form of recognition to those who win.

Greg

yeah random prizes will not happen in this comp, this is a pet hate of many competitors and in previous threads you will know why, including the organiser

prizes that relate to the part of the comp that they have won/competed in, ie not a bream rod for offshore category.

cheers LEe

Cool as guys. Thanks for the input and keep it coming eh?
    The random draw is a good idea as long as you have actually competed in the comp.
    Having to be there for the draw I do not believe should be a pre requisite as just entering should be enough. You cant be fishing and at the draw at the same time.
    This is not in direct competition of the Boyne Tannum Hookup in fact it is everything that the Hookup is not really.
    This is for fisherpeople.
    You win stuff by fishing.
    You enter to fish.
    The fish swim instead of laying on the bottom.
    It takes skill to catch these fish.
    There are Billfish in these waters.
    This is to raise funds for Marine Rescue and Ecofish.

So keep your ideas coming for me and know that I appreciate your input. I really do want to make this a great competition.

You will be amazed at what I have in the wind for this one....
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

Good on your Newbs . I always like the idea's of the meduim sized esky's they have on offer at some comps.
    Money is always good . Throw in a top Notch polo with all the compo details and sponsers in your size
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

I would be happy to win anything!! But if I were to have a choice I think the vouchers are the go. As others have said if Rods and reels are on offer make them suitable for the class of fish that was targeted. Will be watching this with interest as the pelagics are my favourite targets. Great idea.

How about fuel?
    Like a fuel card or similar?
    Like first prize in Biggest Mack is a $500 fuel card?
    Whats your thoughts on on that type of prize?
    NEWBY T.G.

Quote Originally Posted by the lump View Post
    I would be happy to win anything!! But if I were to have a choice I think the vouchers are the go. As others have said if Rods and reels are on offer make them suitable for the class of fish that was targeted. Will be watching this with interest as the pelagics are my favourite targets. Great idea.
    I will start a mailing/contact list soon.
    I am still working out logistics and what I need IE licenses and permits etc.
    Stay tuned...
    NEWBY T.G.