Thread: looking for a new plastics combo

looking for a new plastics combo

Hi guys,

I'm looking for opinions on what spin rod and reel to get.
    It needs to be around the 4-8kg mark and a reel to match.

I have $250 to spend.

Be using it for larger/ harder fighting estuary fish and the old northern bay work.

Will be putting 14lb fireline on it for now.

Willing to overseas if someone can point me in the right direction.

thanks

neil

Re: looking for a new plastics combo

I have an excellor 2500 on a 7ft 3-5kg penn rod with 300 mtrs of 10lb PE. Cost $250 and I couldn't be happier. Casts a mile. Have caught some big bream and flatties on it. Took a pretty big jew all the way in to the rock wall and it spat the hooks as I was crabbing down the wall to get it.

Caught a nice 55cm trevally on it too. Smooth drag, the rod pulled it up every big run

If you source a Shimano Stradic 4000 from one of the better value OS joints and match it to a Starlo Stix Tournament Pro Maxspin 4-7kg you will break your budget by about $50. If you went for a Shimano Saros instead you would be pretty close. I dont know of any outfit in that sort of price range that would be as versatile or effective

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

i agree with horse. but there are many other awesome options too. daiwa and shimano both do awesome outfits for cheap (exceler, shimano tournament spin, shimano jewel etc. and you can get some pretty good reels for 100 to 150 these ddays too. my personal favourtie is a 4000 shimano navi (exclusive to tackle world) this reels is tough and fishes well for $130. these outfits would of cost 500 or 600 bucks even a few years ago.

Tyson

I have a Starlo Stix Tournament Pro 2-4kg and I have to tell you the blank is real nice but the fittings are allot to be desired. I'm really pedantic with my gear and the eyes have signs of corrosion already, and I have lost the bottom ring and rubber already.

In saying that I do have my eyes set on the max spin as the rod.

I have just got the BseaF catalogue and the pfluger trions are on special at the moment for $99. So I should be able to spend more money on the reel.
    Any opinions on the trions?

neil

Quote Originally Posted by BRabbit View Post
    I have an excellor 2500 on a 7ft 3-5kg penn rod with 300 mtrs of 10lb PE. Cost $250 and I couldn't be happier. Casts a mile. Have caught some big bream and flatties on it. Took a pretty big jew all the way in to the rock wall and it spat the hooks as I was crabbing down the wall to get it.

Caught a nice 55cm trevally on it too. Smooth drag, the rod pulled it up every big run
    I already have a 2-4kg SST pro with a 2500 SOL. I was more looking for a heavier outfit.

neil

hey mate when my brother and i fist started out wit soft plastics we decided to buy some new rods for it, so we went to bcf n picked up a couple of diawa shock rod n reel combos, set us back $89 each, we r both running 4lb fins briad n never had any trouble wit any of the fish we have got onto, togther we have landed some pretty big fish, picked up a 3ft shovel nose, heaps of quality bream over 30cm, flattys around the 70cm mark and the list goes on, im more than happy wit wat ive got,

we have both just bought a another comb to take offshore, running only 8lb just for a bit of fun only had it out once so far, grate rod but gettign rid of the reel, its not all that great....

anyways i hope this helps out,

brenno

Quote Originally Posted by Kleyny View Post
    I have a Starlo Stix Tournament Pro 2-4kg and I have to tell you the blank is real nice but the fittings are allot to be desired. I'm really pedantic with my gear and the eyes have signs of corrosion already, and I have lost the bottom ring and rubber already.

Yea, the first batch like my Maxspin had Fuji SICs. My more recent Litespin has guides of lesser quality. For a few $ more they should use guides up to the standard of the blank
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Yea, the first batch like my Maxspin had Fuji SICs. My more recent Litespin has guides of lesser quality. For a few $ more they should use guides up to the standard of the blank
    Still wouldn't sell it for the world. Very happy with it.
    Going down to Allround Angler on the weekend to see what they can do for me.

neil

Hi,Just came back from cape york .Pulled a 5 1/2 ft shark looked like a whaler with a penn 4000 infinity 20lb braid 45 mins .The reel got hot and was down to backing a few times but is still working beautifly now.AWESOME. Cheap as Chips too.
    Graham

My brother had a Max Spin fall apart the first weekend he used it.
    The pfluger trions are good buying at $99.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

I had a look a the trions and I dont feel comfy with the longer but.
    I did like the feel of the wilson lcs medium snapper 4-8kg. Also for 99 clams

Anyone know anything about them?

neil

I have the next model up in theWilson LCS series. Its OK and does the job but its a pretty basic blank and components with fairly small guides that catch knots a bit. I still managed to land a 50lb Cod on it so they will do the job
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Going to my local tomorrow to see what they have I gave them a call and they said the wilson lcs is a BCF only product. But they did say that it is made by ATC so I'll see whats going on tomorrow.

neil

I can only hope I can stay under budget or I might be looking for somewhere to live.

Like many have suggested. I've got Starlo Stix Tournament Pro as well, nice blank and has performed well IMO. Match the 4-7kg Maxspin ($130-150) to a 4000 Stradic, your in a pretty good shape!!!