Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer mod - What should i do?

Trailer mod - What should i do?

I own a 93 Mackay drive on trailer for my boat (470F) the trailer is in good nick but here lies my problem - My trailer measures 21 foot long, my shed is 20 foot long

I am sick of having to put my boat on a slight angle as the is killing my useable shed space, i plan on fitting one of these (http://www.fultonperformance.com/con...art=HDPB330101)
    but here is my next problem my drawbar is 2.5" x 2.5" and Fulton dont make anything smaller than the 3" x 3"

It is not plausible to replace the entire drawbar to a 3" version as my trailer as the drawbar running half the length of the trailer and everything attached to it, i am considering one of two options:
    1. Having a 2.75" then a 3" box tube fitted over my existing drawbar (front half) then modifying from there (making my drawbar quite thick at the front)

or

2. fitting spacers only where i intend on fitting the swinging section.

What are your thoughts? im open to anyother suggestions (similar products)

Cheers guys
    If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular???

Re: Trailer mod - What should i do?

Quote Originally Posted by NTMID8 View Post
    I own a 93 Mackay drive on trailer for my boat (470F) the trailer is in good nick but here lies my problem - My trailer measures 21 foot long, my shed is 20 foot long

I am sick of having to put my boat on a slight angle as the is killing my useable shed space, i plan on fitting one of these (http://www.fultonperformance.com/con...art=HDPB330101)
    but here is my next problem my drawbar is 2.5" x 2.5" and Fulton dont make anything smaller than the 3" x 3"

It is not plausible to replace the entire drawbar to a 3" version as my trailer as the drawbar running half the length of the trailer and everything attached to it, i am considering one of two options:
    1. Having a 2.75" then a 3" box tube fitted over my existing drawbar (front half) then modifying from there (making my drawbar quite thick at the front)

or

2. fitting spacers only where i intend on fitting the swinging section.

What are your thoughts? im open to anyother suggestions (similar products)

Cheers guys
    can't you just cut off the draw bar at the end and rebolt the hitch through? insurance company would not be able to tell the difference.

slightly more difficult to reverse but would solve your problems and not cost you a single cent.

Firstly is that coupling younplan to use, legal and engineer certified for use in australia?

Secodly, of you are going to do such mods, perhaps it would be easier to do an engineered solution on the current trailer.
    I recon that would be easier and a better result.

OR , cut a hole in your garrage door .

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ric View Post
    can't you just cut off the draw bar at the end and rebolt the hitch through? insurance company would not be able to tell the difference.

slightly more difficult to reverse but would solve your problems and not cost you a single cent.
    I have thought about cutting the drawbar down but then i loose space for the jockey wheel, spare wheel and mounting bar.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    Firstly is that coupling younplan to use, legal and engineer certified for use in australia?

Secodly, of you are going to do such mods, perhaps it would be easier to do an engineered solution on the current trailer.
    I recon that would be easier and a better result.

OR , cut a hole in your garrage door .

cheers
    I can only assume it is engineered as Mackay are the ones who directed me to them, they told me thats what they use but they dont sell them seperately.

What do you mean by an "engineered solution"?

I'm for leaving the trailer as is and modify the garage, cut a hole / housing in the back wall for the motor to slot into, problem solvered.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I`m with Chimo mate, that exactly what I would do as well,probley cost a lot less to.
    Cheers
    Kerrod

or instead of cutting the back wall, have a frame made to suit the shape of the a frame of the trailer so the roller door locks into that

I probably should have stated but the shed is on the boundary of the property so modifying the shed is out of the question.

The hinge costs $130 aus delivered to my door and i have plenty of family and friends in the engineering game (for big stuff machinery styles but can easily fit/weld/modify my trailer)

I am also one for modifying the door on your shed, don't ruin a perfectly good trailer/draw bar if you don't have to.

Personaly I would be happier with a pair of hinge plates welded onto the existing drawbar top and bottom, than some sort of foreign item that does not realy fit.

If you have serious engineering family they would probly be insulted that you would buy "such an inferiour item"

As has been mentioned...a little demountable wall that comes in about towbar height and the roller door can lock down too.

Easy enough and no structrual modifications to the trailer.

If you must modify the trailer....one other way would be a telescopic drawbar extension..sor of like a hayman reece towbar........dead easy to do and engineer , particularly if you have a long drawbar tube existing...slide and pin.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Got a photo of boat on trailer , both the drawbar and the stern of boat?

Can you move winchpost forward?
    Shorten drawbar?
    Motor on full lock when garaging?

Friend who rents just built a long strap hasp attached to garage door and locks door down resting on the drawbar with the coupling on the concrete out the door. Gave him the craps as the local cats liked a nice warm garage but he them put in a couple of infill pieces on the bottom of the door. A couple of extra locking holes in the garrage door channel where the locking bar goes through and all good and secure8.

No recent pics sorry.

I spoke with my uncle last night who suggested that a solid insert be placed in the existing drawbar (about100mm either side of the intended cut) then the hinge section welded into place with 1/4"spacers inside.

I really appreciate everyones help but i must stress that modifying of the shed in any form is simply not an option (i wish it was) the shed has a sliding door so i can even semi close it over the hitch.

I am in the process of moving the winchpost back (closer to boat) to give a little extra room but still need to have room for jockey wheel and spare wheel.

Sorry here is the best pic i have of the current setup

Hi NTM

There is no such thing as a silly question, so here goes......

Do you drop the motor when you park the boat in the shed?

if yes refer to first statment if no then there is the extra room you need!

The answer please?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................