Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What efffect on bay fishing if Wivenhoe spills

Re: What efffect on bay fishing if Wivenhoe spills

I got a show cause and ignored it. I never put in water tanks. I guess most of you know I said things like "The rain will come, it always does."

Once you get away from the stupidity of Global Warming hysteria, it becomes obvious that as long as we are in a Country of drought and flooding rains, well, that's what we'll get...

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I did not put in water tanks either and had a similar confidence to Timiboy that the rains would return, albeit I acknowledge that we were close to a crisis.

My complaint about the whole matter concerned a couple of things...

Firstly, I continue to be appalled at the lack of planning for effective water management. I used to be an engineer undertaking unrelated infrastructure planning for a few years way back in the 1980's and I was used to planning periods of 20 years. Viz, we were always looking forward twenty years to ensure that demand would be met. I struggle to believe that such planning was not undertaken for our water resources in the sort of lifestyle that we were used to enjoying with plentiful water, as we have now.

Secondly, I was appalled at the puerile level of management of the problem once it became evident. For example, the councils had to have a meeting amongst themselves to decide whether to reduce water pressure by 10% to reduce water loss through pipe leakages. Why have a meeting? Doesn't someone on the Brisbane City Council have the leadership qualities to just do it without needing a committee meeting of councils?

Finally, the method of water rationing grossly favoured people who spent the bulk of their week in employment using their employer's water and not retired people who might also have medical problems that necessitated more water usage than most people anyway.

To get around that latter matter, the councils were forced to send out the most obnoxiously intrusive questionaire to try to force people to justify using water that should have been available if responsible infrastructure planning had been in place all along.

...and then to top it off, that dopey, arrogant female water commissioner goes and builds herself a swimming pool at the very worst time in the crisis. Sheesh!!!

I see that the dams are now at 118% of capacity.

Can I hose my driveway yet, Mr Water Commissioner?

Click for full size - Uploaded with Skitch

The dams will be releasing 370021 megalitres(disregarding further inflows).It will certainly be interesting to see what that does to the whole river/bay system.

rando..it will be the best thing for the bay for many years..just think..without the dams there would be a natrual fluash when these rains occurred.

Bruce..they did plan ahead..they built Wivenhoe..but some Goose (Goss and Rudd and Swann) did not build Wolffdene. Somerset and Wivenhoe are sufficient to handle out needs. I still do not believe there was a crisis..they just kept citing percentages anot actual figures and historical data which shows that all was not in dire straits at all..just need to have some water restrictions for a while..no tanks (tanks are for country areas)..disgusting looking things..and just wait till it rained..I could have saved them a fortune.

i like the way they always talk about percentages including puddles they call dams
    bruce that dopey arrogant commissioner was copping a fair bit of coin to tell us not to use much water

Greg - I agree that tanks are for country areas. It was not without reason that they were banned in the big smoke some years ago for health reasons.

As a bloke who cleans out his own gutters and sees what accumulates in there, I sure would not want to be drinking nor swimming in the water than came off my roof in a city.

yes Bruce..banned many years back were the tanks..and my tip..an outbreak of Ross River or dengue fever because people will not clean the strainers etc on their tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian47 View Post
    bruce that dopey arrogant commissioner was copping a fair bit of coin to tell us not to use much water

Gee whizz, Brian! Don't bloody well rub it in! A man of my age should not get his blood pressure raised too high.

She was also chairman of the board of the failed Commander Communications ...

"Elizabeth Nosworthy had to do a pretty hard thing yesterday. As chair of Commander Communications she had to face probably the angriest group of shareholders at any of this year’s annual meetings and tell them she hasn’t sacked the management and couldn’t sell the company.
    Commander has been an unmitigated disaster. Several profit warnings have seen the share price collapse from $2 to 32c in six months."
    Source http://www.businessspectator.com.au/...P?OpenDocument

...and was also on the board of the failed Babcock and Brown ...

"While her record of as non-executive director was dubious, Nosworthy didn’t appear to be taking a great deal of responsibility for Babcock & Brown’s fate – apparently, everyone else was to blame."
    "Nosworthy also claimed that “in the circumstances [she didn’t think] that any other CEO would have done better”. Given Babcock lost $5.6 billion in 2009 (the greatest loss made by an Australian company), it’s hard to think of how any CEO could have done much worse."

Source: http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/08/03/...ll-of-company/

Click for full size - Uploaded with Skitch

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    ..and my tip..an outbreak of Ross River or dengue fever because people will not clean the strainers etc on their tanks.

Hmmm! I wonder if the authorities are predicting that themselves. Only yesterday, I received a letter from the State Government asking if I wanted to participate in a research study of a vaccine to prevent dengue fever.

... and now ...

"PARTS of Brisbane are set to flood tomorrow regardless of whether it rains or not, because the controlled water released from Wivenhoe Dam will combine with a peak tide.

Residents of inner city suburbs have been urged not to park their cars on at-risk streets as authorities fear parts of the city will be inundated as water released from Wivenhoe Dam combines with a high tide.

Brisbane City Council has advised areas of Bowen Hills, Newstead, Albion, Windsor, Milton, Norman Park and East Brisbane are in the firing line.

Parts of roads may also be closed in preparation for the overflow of water, which is expected to peak after the high tide at 2.36pm.

Council will make sandbags available for concerned residents at the Darra Works Depot, Morningside Works Depot, Newmarket SES depot and Zillmere Works Depot."

Source ... http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225938316016

I`ve been watching the water pour out at the mouth of the Brisbane river Monday and yesterday arvo and with a .6 or .7 low tide on monday the sandbanks didn`t even look like exposing themselves on the northern banks past the poo shute to coopers channel. every ten or fifteen minutes another colour line makes it`s way to the mouth like a surge of darker chocolate milk with a visible froth line crossing the river from bank to bank which I have never seen before so I`m thinking these are the pressure waves or surges of fresh from wivenhoe. a few bits of weed but not a lot of debri compared to previous downpours but i`m sure that will come. as the tide tries to come in the current on top must be doin about 3 to 4 knots in the other direction and doesn`t look like letting up for a while. On a different note there was Taylor smashing bait schools against the rock wall on the southern reaches so the fishies are still there and they don`t mind playing in the fresh!

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    just need to have some water restrictions for a while..no tanks (tanks are for country areas)..disgusting looking things..and just wait till it rained..I could have saved them a fortune.
    What about people who use excess water? Are they supposed to just give up there hobbies?

Surely you wouldnt disagree that having one on all new houses to flush crap down the toilet is not a good idea?
    "It's not a sport if the other team doesn't want to play"

F.R.

Brisbane Roar 2010/2011 Champions!!

More to come!! Bay fishing should be great but you have to think of all the brake dust, carbon, rubber particles, oil, plastic and other assorted crappola that is getting washed down into the creeks. At least it is being diluted but it still ends up in the system.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225938383091

Cheers.....Terry.....

Yep, I agree that new dwellings should have to have tanks and for old dwellings that are capable they should have the option of having their instalations taken off the rates bills. With water pretty much privatised in most areas there is a large chunk of cash councills have no right to and should be given back in schemes like this. Tanks are part of the solution for the tough times. You prepare for the bad when it is good.

We managed to hit very very conservative water usage targets as a Region at during the bad times just because of public awareness of the issue because of all the media hype about it. The exact same could be done for clearing of gutters, I am sure mass media depicting the affects of ross river and the like would motivate to clean them out or at least get someone in to do it.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.