Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What efffect on bay fishing if Wivenhoe spills

Re: What efffect on bay fishing if Wivenhoe spills

Quote Originally Posted by fat-buoy View Post
    Oh and if you believe the long range forecast of Ken Ring (who has been pretty accurate to date) we are in for a long dry spell with no water coming our way..
    Heheheh!

Does anyone remember the lead-up to the summer in which the 1974 floods happened?

I recall, vividly, the TV advertisements featuring Lennox Walker, the renown long range weather forecaster, in which he was predicting a very dry summer and suggesting, therefore, that everyone ought to buy a Pope sprinkler.

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    Heheheh!

Does anyone remember the lead-up to the summer in which the 1974 floods happened?

I recall, vividly, the TV advertisements featuring Lennox Walker, the renown long range weather forecaster, in which he was predicting a very dry summer and suggesting, therefore, that everyone ought to buy a Pope sprinkler.

yep Bruce i remember!!! To bad the news channels that bring these guys out of the closset every so often dont!! Lets face it there are so many variables when it comes to the weather that they cant even get an accurate 7 day forecast let alone a whole summer one done!!! Long range weather forecasting is akin to tea leave reading imho!!! It all B/S!!!!

Ian

Ps on the Wivanhoe issue they are doing exactallty the right thing letting water out! One decent cyclone and it could easily add the 40% it takes to make it spill!!! The dam was designed as flood mitigation( not water storage!!) and this is what it should be used for! With everything well and truely soaked look out for Murphy sending some real wet stuff our way!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

The gates are open,,,,, tonnes of bait heading for the bay. not to mention bass and everything else that swims.
    Could be the start of something good.

Well the river & bay can have the bait and a good flush but I don't think the stocking group would share your enthusiasm about the bass Rando.
    I've noticed in the past when this has happened a lot of the stocked fish don't survive going over the wall. There were tons of dead fish below the Wivenhoe wall last time, stocked fish and catties. I joined quite a few from this site in a rescue and clean up at Nth Pine Dam when it's gates were last opened, we saved over 100 lungies but it wasn't very nice.
    cheers

Yes Mike , the stockists might not like it. But the fish will still be available from below the dam, and they will be able to breed in years to come.

Will be interesting to see what affect it has on the bay and the Sunny Coast etc as the currents move the water north...

Been a while since they let the water out so this may be a balance thing and spark the fishing in the local area also... could be a good thing overall!

Well you blokes are sorta kinda due for a cyclone or at least a related widespread depression from one, dumping lots in a little while.

Up here the media is trying to sensationalise this upcoming cyclone season, we have warm enough water already so who knows......one thing for sure from watching this stuff is they only have a very broad idea, any less is a guess.

Safer bet to go with natural variation and the probability within , last one down there was in the late 80s? as a deep depression offshore i think, remember heading out in the thick of it for mango hill, came back with a boot full

Huge amount of water coming down the river.I was down at Kingsford Smith Drive at 11 today and the water was almost over the retaining wall over on the bulimba side.Went past again at 2.00 river still up even 2hrs after the tide.

Bass in the Bay, Awesome!! Just like the bass in the Coomera.

amazing isn't it..all this rai nand Anna spent 9 billion on a water grid..what a complete waste..just think how the hospitals could be working with that kind of money.
    Anyone feel guilty about being conned into buying a water tank?

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    amazing isn't it..all this rai nand Anna spent 9 billion on a water grid..what a complete waste..just think how the hospitals could be working with that kind of money.
    Anyone feel guilty about being conned into buying a water tank?

LOL, I got a 'show cause' notice from the council because they reckon I'm using too much water as set down by the Water Commission

LOL castlemaine...tell em to send a bloody bill to God also..did ya see how much water he wasted with it gushing down all the creeks lately?

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    LOL castlemaine...tell em to send a bloody bill to God also..did ya see how much water he wasted with it gushing down all the creeks lately?
    When I spoke to the lady at the council she seemed a bit embarrassed that she had to state the regulation as it is now law and also while it was pissing down outside.
    I guess the law is the law ... whether it is raining or not.
    So when will they change it back, do they have to take it back to Parliament???

Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    LOL, I got a 'show cause' notice from the council because they reckon I'm using too much water as set down by the Water Commission

I received three of them during the water crisis but steadfastly refused to send back their appallingly intrusive questionaire. I abused every politician in reach by letter about such and got a lovely letter from my local alderman in which he said that the council did not want to send out those letters but was forced to by the water commission - which as we know was headed up at the time by a lady who chose to build a new swimming pool at her house at the height of the crisis.

Her answer to media questioning as to why she was building a pool at the very height of the water crisis was, "Because I like to swim."

Stupid bloody woman!

Anyway, because of the lovely written response from my local alderman, I changed my voting patterns in his favour at the following election.

Hmmm we are paying $2.60 a for 1000 l. Sprinkers will never come back. But water prices will go up.