Thread: Diry Water = Dangerous fish *Aquaculture*

Post Diry Water = Dangerous fish *Aquaculture*

Cheers,
    Cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Re: Diry Water = Dangerous fish *Aquaculture*

I.E. Don't buy fish from Woolies. Support your local fisho and buy only Australian product. Cheers Brendan

that is absolutely disgusting

and to think I was not even allowed to have a dog in the area or catchment of my Redclaw crayfish ponds and to have refrigerated transport of live crayfish from the ponds to the purging/packing shed 300m away and I only ever sold live product

I had to even supply water quality tests of the town water if used on my live product

yep yep I wonder why this product is allowed to come here, at such a cheap rate when Aussie farmers have such huge restrictions

cheers Murf

Over there, its only money that matters - nothing else.

Makes me just shake my head.

come on guys..do you actually believe all these videos? Who produced it? where were the scenes actually filmed?

I could make a similar one locally..film all the dirty factories and sewerage plants along the local waterways..even film the crap in Bulimba Creek..then narrate it with a deep monotonal voice and then see what the response would be.

Read this:

"This report covers the ecological health monitoring activities that were transferred to the
    Member Countries in 2008. During the 2008 biomonitoring survey, eight sampling locations
    were examined in each country. Some of these were new sites where samples had not been
    collected during the 2004 – 2007 surveys. Four of these were in Thailand and
    fi ve in Viet Nam.
    The total of the 32 sites assessed were classi
    fi ed into four class groupings. Of the 2008
    sites, nine were in Class A (excellent ecological health), 12 in Class B (good), 10 in Class C
    (moderate) and one in Class D (poor). Lower scores may have resulted from increased human
    activities, and reductions in both habitats and water quality.
    In order to illustrate their status and trends, the 2008 results are summarised and compared
    to the previous years’ results. Stability of site classi
    fi cations in more than half of the sites and
    the improvement in some sites particularly in those in the Mekong Delta are positive signs
    for the health of the Mekong River. Some locations indicate improvement while others show
    degradation.
    On-site observation suggests that the decline seen at some sites has probably been caused
    by bank erosion during the rainy season. Other sites have changed since 2005 in terms of water

fl
    ows, water levels and amounts of sand and clay accumulation. These factors could have
    affected the organisms living in the area and caused the recorded changes.
    The trends of degradations in isolated locations give a warning of increasing environmental
    impacts caused by human activities, and degradation of habitats in some parts of the Mekong
    River. Further investigations into the causes and effects on biological components are needed to

identify the necessary remedial actions and possible restoration efforts."

You can read lots more at http://www.mrcmekong.org/free_downlo...earch.htm#tech

We cannot skite about water quality. Our streams are abhorrent as evidenced by the water qualities reports released and some of them are going backwards.
    A good example is the recent problems in the Noosa River.

Let's stick to the Aussie adage of a fair go and give these people a fair go. The Mekong River Commission appears to be serious about water quality and the ecology of the river which is a good thing.

I only buy local seafood but let's not be detrimental to others without the real facts and not just some "unknown" video.

These grren people will do anything to get attention...just like them locally with the playpus in the opera house trap..they have admitted it was a set up.

That video shows a aquaculture system way better than others I have seen from the same country.

Having said that, I not only do not buy fish ( any fish from retail outlets ), I actually warn others about buying non-Australian produced product.

A few reasons.

1. You really do not know what you are getting.

2. I would like to assist the Aussie farmers.

3. It has been established, from past inspections and reports, that imported fish product is more susceptible to bacterial infections and in fact have arrived on our shores with said bacteria.

4. There are no controls in overseas countries on what type of food they feed the fish and what amount of hormones they can supplement the fish with. This, IMO, will lead to human health problems down the track.

In Queensland, we have the strictest aquaculture regulations in the world and thus command a price comparable to the quality of product supplied. In some cases, water quality in our Aquaculture farms is BETTER than water in our wild estuary and river systems. How sad is that ?

Trouble with Aussies, we are always looking for the ' cheapest '.

Personally and with no disrespect to anyone, I think it is time we stopped BUYING all this crap product, be it food, clothing, electrical items, cars, machinery or whatever from countries that ' dump ' their product here, because they know Aussies love a bargain. Well, this stuff is NOT a bargain. It is crap.

I know the local seafood associations are making representations to Government about imported seafoods, but if WE do not support the local guys then they will flounder ( pun intended )...

I do not have an issue with ' quality ' imports. I also have an issue with poor quality Aussie stuff. WE need to decide what we want for our kids future employment opportunities.

Cheers
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 10-10-2010 at 07:54 AM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here