Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50lb line for overhead what brand

Re: 50lb line for overhead what brand

The Schneider Klear and Platypus Platinum would be my pick of monos. I like the Platinum more because of the line thickness and the fact it hasn't let me down yet on my bottom bashing rig.

just lookin for the stretch u get from mono..guess i could put some leader and tie it to the braid

if fishing deep you could always run 5 to ten meters of mono leader if you wanted to use braid or just a totally mono outfit to get that bungie cord effect on the big brutes. . my tip would be Schneider for both applications.

ok i think either schneider or platypus platinum

Maybe a 15-20 ft mono leader (and then your trace) would be better than all mono.

Mono stretches about 30% or more. Theoretically, if you hooked up to a big kingie 15 metres off the bottom, in 80 metres of water, you could tie your end of the mono to the boat rail and the kingie could still stretch the mono far enough to reach the bottom and cut you off.

Of course, people caught kingfish before there was braid, but I've seen enough people busted off on the bottom while using 50-60lb mono to think that the stretch is a big factor.

Brent.

dont really want to rely on a knot..the only knot i want is the one where u tie the loop on the patanoster if that makes sence

cheers rosco

Platinum all the way mate if you're going mono on a rod. We use Schneider for handlines only.

thanks for the replies fella's i went with the platypus platinum....now just got to get some good weather to go chase a few fish
    cheers rosco