Thread: To many bases?

To many bases?

Hi guys am just looking for guys opinions on wether I'm trying to cover to many bases or senarios with the one combo due to budget as I'm sure most of you can relate.

I have my 2-4kg bream stick with 1000 reel 4lb braid etc for light placcies and hard bodies. So now I'm in the market for something around the 3-6kg with a 2500 - 3000 reel to run some say 8 - 12lb on. Bases trying to cover mainly in the brissy river due to just getting myself a boat will be bigger plastics on the bottom for say medium size snapper, the odd jewie if they decide to take it then if a thready grabs it not have to panic. Also ya trolling for flattys and maybe a bit of slug spinning for your smaller macks out the mouth when their around. So trying to cover a few bases.

Current line of thought after only a little bit of research on here and in stores is the 701 jewel 3-6kg cast weight 7-21g, paired with a symetre 3000fj reel.

So yeah suggestions if got any, however mainly though be honest am I kidding myself.

Re: To many bases?

That sounds like a decent outfit and would do the job fine for all those jobs. I reckon you could even put 15 lb line on the Symetre and get plenty of capacity.

Yeah mate, you are on the right track for sure.
    You will probably get two spools with the reel to open up another option for you.
    With both of those rigs you would cover most species you will catch in the river.
    Always good to have a slug throwing rig coming into summer!
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

You don't get a spare spool with the FJ Symetre which is a bit of a bugger. Love my 2500FJ. Have a look at the Saros, it comes with an extra spool and is only a few bucks more than the Symetre. Should be able to get plenty of 8 to 15lb braid on it. Just see if you can get a PE like nilton or such which is thinner and still reasonably priced.

I think the rod will work well for the intended purposes you mentioned. I was actually looking at that one myself the other day for a potential Bass spinning rod. Seems quite good for the money and felt good in the hand for me.

So i personally think you can achieve what you want to with the Saros and the Jewel and keeping it within that budget area you need.

Cheers
    Glenn

dont mean to steal your thread, but whats a setup like that worth roughly? I wouldnt mind something very similar as a bit of a heavier rod after mine went walk about.

The rod is is around $130 to 140 and the reel is about the $150 mark. As for the braid well recently i've picked up sunline castaway for $38 delivered brought in from OS. You can get super pe for about the same price at Oz shops.

So close to $350 you get the rod, reel and 2 lots of good braid, perfect for the applications wishing to be done.

I'd definitely go up a class of reel so that you get two spools. Very handy. I have just bough a Stradic and will be putting two different size braids on the spools provided.

At least that way, worst case, you can buy two rods and just use the one reel. obviously you can't use them at the same time but still smart way to go.

Cheers guys definetly would like to have that spare spool say run 10lb and a 14lb or something similiar.

get stradic 2500fi $170 way better than symetre and not much more $
    Why is it everytime i walk away from my rod it gets smashed

Howdy,
    Just another quick ask of opinions and experiences was in a tackle store on the weekend and one of the guys suggested rather then 3000 size, for line capacity go 4000. Just in case some mack tuna or what ever turn up. Felt it in hand definetly notice the weight difference but also see his side of it. Ultimatly always comes down to personal comfort with rig but was wondering if you guys think I would be over "reeling" the rod so to speak?

Cheers

PS still to be paired up with a jewel 702 3-6kg rod.
    Last edited by flip1906; 10-10-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: addition of PS.

Quote Originally Posted by flip1906 View Post
    Howdy,
    Just another quick ask of opinions and experiences was in a tackle store on the weekend and one of the guys suggested rather then 3000 size, for line capacity go 4000. Just in case some mack tuna or what ever turn up. Felt it in hand definetly notice the weight difference but also see his side of it. Ultimatly always comes down to personal comfort with rig but was wondering if you guys think I would be over "reeling" the rod so to speak?

Cheers

PS still to be paired up with a jewel 702 3-6kg rod.
    You could do this but you are jumping up a bit in size etc. I have a 4000 symetre and have 30lb braid on it!! I did have 20 but it has the capacity to load 30 on it so I did.
    Certainly nothing wrong with doing it but you will be pushing the rod a bit.

I would be jumping up to the Saros or even better still source a Stradic from OS (reel fishing deals) for about $145 US delivered to your door. They have great prices on Power Pro braid as well. They also sell the Saros.
    The 4000 Stradic is better suited to spinning as it has a greater line capacity and retrieval rate but at a slight weight disadvantage (11.6 oz V 9.5 oz). I use a 3000 Stradic on my 2-4 kg outfit and have had to chase quite a few fish when I'm down to backing.
    I haven't used the rod but one of the Jewels I have seen had pretty small guides that could cause issues with leader knots
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hi guys becoming a pretty drawn out purchase but really do want to get it right. Taking into account suggestions that the jewel guides are small had a look and have gone away from them. Since posting last have purchased a stradic 4000 from O/S $170 with post so not to bad. Have got 10lb and 20lb to chuck on for starters.

The dilema now is rod so still trying to target threadies , jews, snapper, macks etc.

option 1Tcurve revolution inshore 4-7 kg.

option 2 Tcurve t series 3-6kg.

option 3 Tcurve t series 5-8kg. (to heavey maybe?)

Obviously I have increased the budget I figure spend it now save later hopefully. With the better quality is the T series 3-6kg going to handle as much if not more then the Revolution 4-7kg despite lighter rating. As you can probably tell was brought up catching bream, whiting etc.

Your experience and opinions as always is appreciatted.

Flip