Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on Platypus size and habitat.

Info on Platypus size and habitat.

There recently was a post on operahouse traps killing wildlife.When the post was active I contacted a friend who works at the QLD museum for a bit of info.
    Here are the questions that I asked him and the response. I have deleted names to protect privacy but can supply via pm if anyone wishes.
    I do note that the question re the ability to enter a 60mm ring is unanswered but he does give the size of their tunnels.
    It does answer the questions about their presence in our dams.
    Cheers
    Ray

???? there has been an emotive but little fact cyberwar going on on ausfish re platypus and opera house pots.
    Would any of your mates in the museum have any info on any of the following.
    1 size of platypus. Would an adult be able to enter an opera house pot that had an 60mm ring in the entrance.
    2 same for juvenile.
    width of adult bill and body.

habitat'
    have they been recorded in the main bodies
    hinze.north pine.somerset,wivenhoe or any other dams in seq or do they only live in the streams that lead into the dams.
    What do they eat?
    Cheers
    Ray

Response.

??????.

Hi ??????, sorry for the delay, I’ve been away. Here is some text book info (Mammals of Australia).
    Platypus breeding burrow entrances are ellipses that measure 10-13cm X 7.5cm.
    They rely on shallow bodies of water so may be around the edges of dams. Their presence in the dams you mentioned can be confirmed by Dr Scott Burnett who has recently done surveys for Q Wildl Pres Soc.
    Scott Burnett burnettscott@hotmail.com
    Best wishes,
    ?????
    Size
    A cline in body size exists in the species from north
    Queensland to Tasmania, with southern populations
    exhibiting significantly larger body size (both weight
    and length) than northern populations. Within some
    regions, however, there are size differences that are
    not related to latitude. For example, animals from the
    western rivers of New South Wales are larger than
    those from east-flowing streams in that State, and
    King Island platypuses are smaller than those found
    in Tasmania and Victoria.
    Head to tail length (tip of bill to tip of tail)
    370–550 mm (females) 400–630 mm (males)
    Weight 600–1700 g (females) 800–3000 g (males)
    Recently emerged juvenile animals are 83–87%
    adult length and 65–70% adult weight.
    Identification Streamlined body with distinctive bill,
    webbed front feet and broad flat tail. Upper body fur
    dark brown to reddish brown, underfur light brown
    to silver.
    Synonyms None.
    Other common names None.
    Abundance Common.
    Conservation status Not listed (EPBC Act 1999).
    Subspecies None currently recognised.
    References
    Augee, M.L (ed.) (2004). Monotreme III. Proc. Lin.
    Soc. NSW 125: 217–327.
    Grant, T. (2007). Platypus. 3rd Edition. CSIRO
    Publishing, Melbourne.
    Griffiths, M.E. (1978). The Biology of the
    Monotremes. Academic Press, New York.

Dr ????????????? Senior Curator of Vertebrates
    Queensland Museum

Re: Info on Platypus size and habitat.

Thanks rayken1938,

Yeah, I know the people at Queensland Museum and Dr Jeff Johnson (Head of Marine Fishes). Each have there own specialities.

I know of Dr Scott Burnett, however. the report for Qld Wild Pres Soc. is not entirely conclusive.

The crux of this report it is biased towards Qld Wild Pres Soc as they are the ones that paid the dollars, it would not be good to provide a bad one.

Unfortunately the scientific community is always split and will always contradict.

I'd like to know what was the hypothesis and what methods were used and timeframe that this report was made.

Cheers

The more you delve the more confused the issue becomes. It would appear to me that very little independant research has been done on the platypus. I was a little surprised that QWPS was used as a reference source.
    Maybe the only to get some proof is to place a platypus in a container with a 60mm opening and see if it can get out.
    Cheers
    Ray

Well over a week ago in that "emotive thread" I asked the question "is there any proof a single platypuss has ever been caught in an ringed operahouse trap placed in one of our SEQ dams" Still no proof yet
    Considering there are calls to ban the O/P redclaw traps from SEQ dams because we are told they are trapping & killing platypus, I think I've asked a valid question.
    Yes there is proof platypus have been killed in saltwater crabpots that have been illegally used in dams.
    Yes there is proof traps placed in freshwater creeks in NSW have killed platypus.
    Yet QWPS is telling us they should be banned!

Spent some days past trapping to microchip these little critters, cannot speak of their interest in opera house traps but hey anything is possible, everything can happen to something, some where at some time.

Past history proves they will need nothing more than innuendo to take away but to return would take an act of god!

Who knows, chaos theory reigns supreme.

I do not condone the killing (accidental or intentional) of any platypus but they are now considered 'common' throughout eastern Australia and populations are not under any immediate threat.

They were considered 'endangered' about 30 years ago but protection of habitat and improved fishing practices have seen there numbers increase markedly. Hell, one popped up next to my boat in the main channel of Mondy last January!

Another overreaction from the Green quarter, one suspects...

Regs

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    The more you delve the more confused the issue becomes. It would appear to me that very little independant research has been done on the platypus. I was a little surprised that QWPS was used as a reference source.
    Maybe the only to get some proof is to place a platypus in a container with a 60mm opening and see if it can get out.
    Cheers
    Ray
    Yes it is confusing and I agree with you. there has been very little indpendent research done (i.e. without bias or vested interest).

The snout is small but the body would be too big to get out nevermind getting in.

I think it would cause chaos and tear the netting with its razor sharp spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Well over a week ago in that "emotive thread" I asked the question "is there any proof a single platypuss has ever been caught in an ringed operahouse trap placed in one of our SEQ dams" Still no proof yet
    Considering there are calls to ban the O/P redclaw traps from SEQ dams because we are told they are trapping & killing platypus, I think I've asked a valid question.
    Yes there is proof platypus have been killed in saltwater crabpots that have been illegally used in dams.
    Yes there is proof traps placed in freshwater creeks in NSW have killed platypus.
    G'day Mike,

Yes mate, I think you have hit the nail on the head. QPWS (now DERMA) has no conclusive proof and / or evidence to substantiate and your question will go unanswered.

I'm still in the process of having this exposed.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Mike, perhaps your question has gone unanswered because you've asked it on a fishing web site.

To play the devil's advocate here, and this is how the greenies and pollies think, is there any conclusive proof that it is totally impossible for any platypus to ever be caught in a ringed operahouse trap? Please take into consideration that there are many that are set without identification on them and could easily be lost. Fishermen seem to openly admit to setting them illegally, if they are already operating illegally, what will force them to use the new standard traps?
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Gday Dale, my issue all along has been the Courier's environmental reporter and the Qld Wildlife Pres Soc are making out it's common place but point taken mate. Also I'll look forwad to visiting the " National Yowie Conservation Reserve" next time I'm heading up to Somerset.
    Cheers
    Mike

The report really should been sent to Media Watch at the ABC.

Quote Originally Posted by shayned View Post
    The report really should been sent to Media Watch at the ABC.
    G'day Shayned.

A very valid point and all things probable, I wonder if media watch can still entertain this?

It will have to be done with all the facts so media watch can get into the crux of it.

Cheers, Peter

From an emaill;
    Sunfish contacts,
    I received a phone call from Brian Williams today, apologising about the photo published in the Courier Mail of a platypus in a crayfish trap. He has received advice from the Wildlife Preservation Society of Qld that this photo was a SET-UP - to put recreational fishing in a bad light.
    WPSQ has sent a letter to the Sunfish mail box but this has not been received to date.

This is not an isolated case - there are three very recent examples that I have responded to on behalf of Sunfish:
    1. Healthy Waterways - advertisement/poster with budgies in a cage surrounded by lines and hooks - giving the impression that rec fishers are major polluters.
    2. Poster on the Stradbroke (blue) ferry of a masked plover with coloured twine on its legs - the poster claims incorrectly that rec fishers are responsible.
    3. The current photo of the platypus.

Sunfish tries to cooperate and communicate with conservation groups, however there are conservation extremists who use unethical methods to unfairly criticise recreational fishing.

Interesting post by Nuggett on Nuggets forum on platypus in pot.
    "The dirty tricks never stop.
    I just found out that the Senior Advisor to Desley Boyle who headed the now defunct EPA was the Executive Officer for the World Wildlife Federation/Foundation (WWF)

How could she possibly have a balanced view with him advising her."

What chance do we have?
    Maybe part of the reason that inverted dillys were banned.
    Cheers
    Ray

Inverted dillies were banned on pseudo (read emotive misrepresentation) science.

Luc