Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another good day on reef

Re: Another good day on reef

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    Officially there is no provision that non-fishers cannot be counted into the limits. however it is generally accepted that if a person is not fishing or is incapable of fishing then they can't be included to make up numbers.

Are you sure about that first part Scott? Fishos have told me that bag limits relate strictly to the person fishing ie if you reach your limit you can't help fill someone else's quota. So if they ask you what you caught and you were to say "I got 4 spanish mac's and my mate got 2" they'd ping you for it. You'd be crazy to say that of course but if they saw you actually catching them then there may be a case (depending on how they'd prove that in court). Having said that I'm positive we all share the quota out and one day I may meet someone who doesn't.

I think D river's daughter might have got them on the line and gaffed them to get them in the boat ...

My daughter does dive with me and while I'm shooting she stays with my float I just dont trust her at 9 to shoot a gun yet but she does have a keen eye for spoting fish and as soon as she is strong enough to swim with a gun safely she'll be putting spears threw fish her self. She also had to protect 1 of my trout from a decent sized bull shark on the week end till I got back to her (you would not believe how far 15m is till your kids in trouble) n got her out of the water so I do believe she has the right to be counted and on top of that any1 who sits in a boat for a ride to and from the reef in what ever nature throws at you should be counted especially kids that dont winge and cry when its less than good weather. Just my oppinion. I also count her when line fishing for reds even though she can only hook them and panic with line running through her hands till some1 else pulls it up for her. N the prob I guna face soon is if I dont get a bigger boat she'll take over a spot in the boat cause like I said its only 5.2m and only really fits 3 comfortably.

She sounds like a champ mate, good on you for taking the time to include her.

Quote Originally Posted by boney-leg View Post
    Are you sure about that first part Scott? Fishos have told me that bag limits relate strictly to the person fishing ie if you reach your limit you can't help fill someone else's quota. So if they ask you what you caught and you were to say "I got 4 spanish mac's and my mate got 2" they'd ping you for it. You'd be crazy to say that of course but if they saw you actually catching them then there may be a case (depending on how they'd prove that in court). Having said that I'm positive we all share the quota out and one day I may meet someone who doesn't.

I think D river's daughter might have got them on the line and gaffed them to get them in the boat ...
    Yep certain of it. In QLD its all about possession and there is no law against giving away fish. A lot of fisheries legislation is a big hypocrisy like the example earlier. Kids could never use crab pots but could be counted towards possession limits.....so if they can't use a pot how did they catch them?? In your example you may have caught 4 but only kept 3 for yourself your mate caught 2 kept them and decided to keep yours because you made the offer of giving it to him. i've lost count the number of times I have caught something, didn't want it, but a mate, relo etc was offered/or asked to keep the fish and its gone into the esky....I caught it, they kept it, their fish, in their possession.

You know what they say possession is 9/10 of the law.

Not being a smartarse, just showing how easy it is to get around these possession laws. It's all about who declares 'ownership' of the fish, not who caught it.

Another example could be the live trout commercials. Each fisher can have upto 20-30 fish in their dory at any one time....well over any individual bag limit...and they caught them. However they do not 'own' or possess them, the licence holder does so it is the licence holder's responsibility to make sure he/she adheres to quota. bit more technical that that, but thats the basic nuts and bolts of it.

Thanks for the replies.

I also included my kids in the quotas, was just curious after seeing the show on TV.

The age limit for the recreational use of crab apparatus has been removed by Qld Fisheries.

D river my older brother first took me spearfishing when I was 7, but I must admit he was really nervous every time I held the speargun.
    Hope your daughter continues to enjoy it as much as I did.

Ian

she's 9 n I recon it'll still be a while yet but hey live trout boats thats another thing I cant believe the damage they are doing to our fish stocks how the f#ck are they allowed to do that sh#t. I swim around looking at beautiful reef with bulk life on it but totally raped of trout. Especially pissed when I was out there a few weeks ago n could hardly look at a bomby n not shoot a nice trout but seen a mother ship with at least 4 dorys running around on the same reef and then last week we had to look extremely hard for a long time to find even small trout. WTF sell them japs sh#ty mackrel or mother in law or travelly or something equally as crap n leave the good stuff for us to enjoy. Hope you all agree.

I Totaly agree.........

Great yarn about your daughter D river, that I can relate to albeit with my son....
    Sounds like a very special girl and good on you for taking her out and about with you, priceless memories you are making man!
    Cheers.

may as well they give au basa