Thread: Carp in South East Queensland

Carp in South East Queensland

I am looking for a place where I can fish for carp in the Brisbane area. Willing to travel 200km radius.

Re: Carp in South East Queensland

From the fisheries website,
    • introduced to Australia as a sportfish in the late 1800s
    • widely distributed throughout south-eastern Australia with smaller populations in Western Australia and Tasmania
    • in Queensland carp have established throughout the Murray-Darling River in the Condamine-Balonne catchment, Paroo River, Warrego River, Nebine Creek, Culgoa River, Barwon River and MacIntyre River
    • also abundant in the Logan and Albert rivers south of Brisbane
    • there have been isolated reports of people keeping koi carp in ornamental ponds, which is an offence and the fish must be removed.
    Thee are a noxious fish so make certain you don't return them to the water.

Luc

In the creek out here.
    Plentiful out here worse luck.
    Beaudesert have an annual carp muster as well to try and rid us of the scaly buggers
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Plenty in the Tara Lagoon
    more where they came from

Just a reminder, when you catch one it is illegal to return it to the water. It is also illegal to transport a live European Carp. They must be humanely despatched and disposed of correctly. The upper reaches of the Logan and Albert systems seem to have a plentiful supply. Having witnessed first hand the infestation as they slowly crept up the Murray River from Lake Mulwala to Lake Hume, and the millions of fish sucking the mud off the bottem and ruining the weed beds, I'm living in hope that they don't make it to the Brisbane River system and ruin Lakes Wivenhoe and Somerset. The Tilapia and Barred Grunter are bad enough, and now it looks like Glass Cichlids will be in Somerset as well.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to