Thread: rod rating example 2-4 lbs etc

rod rating example 2-4 lbs etc

hope not a silly question but i purchased a pfluger trion 3-6lb to try soft plastics it suited my budget and felt good.then i wondered what does the rating actually refer to and is it critical?yes there was 2-4 and 1-3lb also,bloody confusing for a western bulldogs supporter.lol.ive got 4lb fireline an 6lb leader on a symetre 2500 reel.bought on advice from here.
    another question on the symetre reel,can the winder be swapped from the right to left side?im happy with it where it is but was just wonderin.thanks all.

Re: rod rating example 2-4 lbs etc

Not a bad question from a dogs supporter Cant say much on that subject, my boys never even made the finals. I did think they had a passport for bulldogs supporters to come up the range but I may be wrong

As far as I know it is the recomended line rating of the rod, so if its 3-6lb they recomend using 3-6lb line on it.
    I use heavier than recomended on my Barra rods, but I back the drag off a bit to compensate. I mainly use the heavier line for abrasion resistance.

Cheers

Steve

yes you want to use around the same line class as the rod rating.I think your rod is 3-6kg not lbs.so i would yous 6lb line wich is around 3kg and a max of 12lb-6kg anything in between 6-12lb line is good.I have the 2-4kg trion and it has 8lb line on it yous it for softplastics great rod for price.for the symetre reel just try unscrew the little nob oppisite the handle if it has one.
    Why is it everytime i walk away from my rod it gets smashed

woops.yes your right rod is 3-6kgs.mine is for soft plastics to,well its in lay-by at bcf.lol .seems like ive made the right choice at 3-6kgs ,and for my education with sp regards john
    Last edited by bulldogs195461; 20-09-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: more info

Basically the 3-6kg rating is a measurement by which the rod should not fail should you try breaking the tested line with the rod. i.e. you should be able to break a confirmed 6kg line with the rod without damaging the rod. However this does not mean to say you can high-stick the rod to break the line as that is outside of the design factor of the rod.

The problem arises when people load braids that are often double the advised breaking strain in reality and persons think they should be able to bust off a snag with the rod.......invariably results in damages to rod and sometimes persons and always wallets.
    Jack.