Thread: Online tackle shops

Smile Online tackle shops

Just wondered if anyone has bought braid or reels from a website called ##############. Wondered what their products, service, etc. is like. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Online tackle shops

I cant get that address to work, can you supply a decoder?

The site might have blocked the name. One word was premium and the next was fishing. Still don't know if it will get posted.

They are a very prominant Ebay seller moving their Pelagic brands of gear. I have not bought any of thier gear simply because i can't touch it to know how it feels before buying. If they had brand name gear that you could go and inspect in any other tackle shop I would be much more confident purchasing thier gear. My father did buy three rods and reels form them a few years ago and they were quite serviceable and good value for money, but i would not rate them against the Shimano / Daiwa gear.
    Jack.

Hi Greyfox;
    I have bought a heap of gear from them over the last 3 years.
    IMO they have an excellent range of 'middle product' gear that will do the job, but treat the bargain prices as a consumable item. Their top end gear is however very good.
    Their service is excellent and I have only once paid the insurance premium of $3 for delivery of an SRX2 - 9000 reel. Delivery is usually within 72 hours from payment.
    If you watch anything on ebay you will find what the 'normal going price' is and I find Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays the best days to buy i.e. lowest prices or fewer bidders.
    Others have commented recently on their braid. I now ONLY use their braid in weights of 20,30,40 & 50lb and prefer the multi coloured variety as I know how much line is out and how relative to the bottom I am. I suspect that the actual breaking level is slightly higher than that quoted so in very light weights you may be disappointed by the thicker width.
    I also have their Hypatex Snapper rods (both spin and overhead versions) and have landed good sized snapper, trag and pearlies floatlining. The rapid taper takes a bit of getting used to but with light braid (20lb) the sensitivity is fantastic at depths up to 100m.
    Their heavier duty fibreglass boat rods, are also good and I have landed many AJ's and Kingies on the 10-15kg and 15-24kg models. (Like Ugly Stik - I believe they may really be unbreakable!) Their multi rollered game rods also have a soft tip and load up nicely on strike when trolling.

Pelagic have their own sponsored pro bream boat that use their own products.

The reels are typically from China and you have to read carefully what they can be used for. The lighter baitrunners are lovely for inshore fishing but I have now stripped the gears on two reels (about $30 each) on spannos and Macks. The SRX 9000 reel is fantastic and I have that on a Shimano T Curve for jigging and fishing livies.

Overall, treat the lower priced reels and rods as disposable items. Jump onto their website and have a look at the RRP as well, plus the better product description. You will soon get an idea as to what their better class products are. Pelagic admit they do not have heavy duty products to cover every type of fishing e.g. no heavy duty baitrunner, but if you ask, they will reply to your emails quickly and advise you when stock is coming in.

Hope that helps
    Plato

I have a few of their Pelagic brand rods over the years. They have served me well, and will catch fish for you.

Mike

All depends on wether or not you like to be able to drive down to your local tackle store (wherever that may be), have a conversation with a local fisho, gain some advice and have a hands-on experience with the gear your interested in.. if support continues to go towards cheap imitations and online stores your local will cease to exist. One of many steps away from the Aussie way of life..

Josh;
    I disagree with you.
    All the stores in the high street, including tackle shops, electrical goods, music shops, cell phones, etc BUY & STOCK goods from overseas. Why are you disciminating between a 'named product' bought locally compared to an XYZ at 1/3 price bought online. The answer is marketing and because you like the named brands. As an example, carbon or graphite fishing rod blanks and golf club shafts are made in many factories in Asia and one batch is labelled as a top quality brand and the next one as a lower quality brand. In many cases they ARE NOT cheap imitations but the same product with a different label. I know as I've been to the factories in India and China to see them made.
    Why pay 2 to 3 times the money for the same product just to have a chat with your local dealer down the road who probably also stocks the different products that HE bought online or has an agency agreement with.
    Local dealers simply cannot afford to have a huge range of stock for all purposes but economic pressure means they have to get with it or get out. Sure I will pay for a quality service but many shopkeepers are going bust because they forgot about service when times were good and now cannot get the customers back.
    Cheers
    Plato

Mate you have some valid points but not everybody buys stock from directly overseas, some try very hard to find australian sources for products, tho i must admit it is becoming harder every year with more and more rubbish being introduced to the market. i understand what your saying about products of quality being re- labeled and sold cheaper under a little known name but, in most cases these are faulted ie seconds / damaged stock and items that came out of the mould a little off. these products are also often void of the manufacturers warrenty and have been sold cheap and in mass because they cannot acheive the original market value or are not fit to be sold as the real deal.
    Sure you can pick up a bargain as many have, but the majority of this stuff is crap and your taking a big risk.
    i cant speak for every store throughout australia but i will say none of our products come from discounted online stores or reject outlets and there are certainly no hidden agency agreements with dodgy online dealers.

sorry posted twice.
    Last edited by 1770JOSH; 20-09-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: double post

Josh;
    I understand what your point is but at the end of the day I guess it comes back to consumer choice and affordability. Thats why I made the comments about the cheaper stuff from that supplier should be treated as consumables. When it busts - throw it away. (Even tv's, mobile phones and laptops come under the 'consumables' category.)

The better quality product is the stuff to buy from that supplier and you find it by asking others on forums such as these which was the original question asked by Greyfox regarding this supplier.
    Cheers
    Plato

Thanks for the differing views fellas. Souds like the gear available is reasonable as long as you have a realistic view about what you are paying for. That's all I was asking about and this online shop seems like one I'll try some gear from. Thanks again.

Greyfox;
    If you want to buy quality products on-line (including some Australian Made) and your local tackle dealer doesn't stock them have a look at http://########.com.au/ They promise is they are not the cheapest then you can have it free.
    There have been a few bad reports about delivery times etc but have a look anyway and give them a call. They are based in Coffs Harbour.
    Plato

Site doesn't like it. Google up MO Tackle
    Plato