Thread: Downrigger plus diving lure

Downrigger plus diving lure

At the outset, I emphasise that I am a bait fisho and I don't understand lures like many others on this forum do so this may be a pretty basic question for those "in the know."

I was watching a splendid snapper catching session on "Adventure Bound" on Bris 31 last week wherein Lee Rayner was trolling diving lures with downriggers.

He seemed to be taking particular care in choosing the depth capability of these lures but since the depths at which he was fishing were well within reach of the downrigger, I could not get the point of then running lures that were meant to dive to maybe 10 - 15 m below that.

Why not just run a non-diving lure straight behind the downrigger bomb?

He certainly knew what he was doing because he pulled in knobby after knobby. So there must have been a sensible reason for his doing what he was doing.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Re: Downrigger plus diving lure

Sometimes it is on the swimming action of a diving lure, a non diving lure will generally run straight with little side to side movement. Maybe having the weight at the same depth of lure will change the water movement?? not sure but must be a reason for it.

Cheers Lee