Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Teewah Tailor Slaughter

Teewah Tailor Slaughter

4 tonne of tailor were taken from just north of Teewah yesterday afternoon by the same net that caught the permit.

Approximately half of those tailor were in roe and a 5kg female tailor carries around 4.5 million eggs.

Yet another sad day for us all. But as long as this man is making a living then we should all be happy right?

Re: Teewah Tailor Slaughter

mmmmm cuts deep dosnt it!!!

Cat food or bait? Any idea the price/kg.? Do you think it will impact stocks in your area?
    Thanks for the report Slider, you're not alone in your concerns.
    Cheers.

So much for the closed area on Fraser , the Tailor don't even get a chance to get there.

It`s alright We`ll just get some more regulations and tougher bag limits for rec fisherman. Then there will be plenty of tailor left to net ,right?

Just put it with the 1500kg of Spawning bream they

netted down here a fortnight ago

what do they use it for?

i always thought tailor didn't freeze well.

I rarely weigh into these arguments, but....

If the rec fishers continue to work against the pro's, then only one thing is certain.

Neither will be able to catch anything!

It is time people pulled their head out of their ass on both sides here and made a concerted effort to work together.

With the Greens about to be able to block any sensible policies in Government, now is not the time to give them more ammo to close the entire coast to any form of "seakitten" murdering activities.

The PEW group will be lobbying even harder now to close up the Coral Sea conservation area.

We have have all been warned

Cheers,
    Myles

P.S the pro's are entitle to make a living within the means of their quota, and nobody should begrudge them of that. Unless you are happy to live on crap imported seafood for the rest of your life

What sort of by-catch do these netters end up with? How does taking females with roe affect future take? Is the yearly take by the pro's declining each year?

Is the take sustainable? If it is, I cant see a problem with it, but I am guessing that we dont have any real info on that?

Andy,
    It depends greatly on the mesh size used and the skill/experience of the spotter to pick what species and the size of the fish in the 'patch' off the beach.

If they pick the fish well, and most that I know do, then the by-catch is minimal to non existent.

it is like the old longliner vs game fisher argument with Marlin.

Why would a longliner deliberately target a fish worth 300 bucks (marlin) vs a fish worth thousands (Sthn Bluefin or Yellowfin). They both require the same amount of man hours to catch and process, but there is no money in the marlin. The fact is 90% of them do not target the low dollar value species when there are high value fish to be had.

Cheers,
    Myles

P.S as for it being sustainable, absolutely! How many blokes under the age of 50 do you know that hold a beach nettin licence? Don't worry these hard workin, poor old buggers will peg out soon enough and there will be no one young and fit enough that can be bothered to continue the trade.

When was the last time anyone on here went to a seafood outlet and ordered tailor???or for that matter ever heard someone else order it. Give me a break Midnight,these blokes are not the last bastion local of supply to the non- fishing public . It is a tired old argument that is trotted out every time this comes up ,and it is complete crap.

Yes I agree they are entitled to the rewards of their license, but as with the forestry industry they should be required to replenish the equivalent of what they extract. Say 10 million juvenile tailor(20mm) for every tonne of fish they take.That way everyone is a winner.

You know I'm right

rando

Hey Myles

Got to disagree mate!! The longliners will take whatever they can to pay fuel, crew, etc if they cant get albacore, they'll chase striped marlin if they cant get them they'll target the next on the list and so on , it's all about covering costs and making money!!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

As I have proposed previously. Make the "bycatch" totally non commercial. Don't give the buggers the option of making a few bucks on the side when they "stuff up" and run a net around a school of Permit or Tailor.
    I think that rec fishing has to be selective in what commercial practices it endorses. I don't see any major conflict with pro line fishing but I do not agree with inshore trawling and idiot beach netters like this guy, Its all about sustainability and some efforts have a much bigger footprint than the catch that goes through the fish board
    Make licences region specific and add a sunset clause to them and give them fair compensation for the termination
    Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I don't know enough about the sustainability metrics to make any better comment here than anyone else who does not produce the data.

However, I would not have thought that 4 tonne of tailor is such an extraordinary haul.

Usually, in Moreton Bay in winter, the tailor are in plague proportions. Indeed at times, they can be a nuisance because it can be hard to get a bait down to where the snapper might be. Sure, the size is usually pretty modest but the quantities are not.

I am happy for professional fishermen to harvest the sea to feed us. They will do it a lot cheaper than any amateur.

I think they should re-allow the beach-haulers to take Aust Salmon. Might take some pressure off of other species.
    Plenty good enough for cat food/cray bait/longline bait, and the schools are easy to spot and can be very large. Their distribution and numbers have grown incredibly over the last 30 years, and they eat everything in their (migrational) path that moves. Why Fisheries managers haven't moved on this already I don't know.
    I have not seen, read or heard any direct evidence of this, but my gut feeling is that Ecofishers are supporting beach-hauling. Anyone care to comment?
    Cheers.