Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Teewah Tailor Slaughter

Re: Teewah Tailor Slaughter

And they were good fish

The cats will certainly be eating well............
    Personally I reckon tailor are a great eating fish if handled correctly, and that the bigger they are the better they are to eat. I'm guessing it would be difficult though to process and sell that much product for human consumption before it deteriorated too much. Some fantastic tailor in those pics.

Slider,
    I can't ever remember seeing an ice machine at the reef, or on any beach!

'Seems to be a consistent theme happening here with good fish from nets not on ice going somewhere ....'
    Yes Slider, you are right, they are headed to a cold room, ice box, or refrigeration/ice slurry etc, because as mentioned, ice machines don't exist on the beach. Fish don't have to hit the ice 3 seconds after capture. Many rec anglers do the same- fish not bled, nor on ice, so we can't have the topic straying off track into the world of bias?
    Bias in print annoys me - they are all edible fish- not 'non edible'! Are you trying to persuade a host of viewers with limited knowledge?
    You seem to be dominating the chat, which is fine, but keep it on the rails for a smoother run.
    Johnny Mitchell

However, the stats on the recreational take of tailor vs that of the pros does show recs taking nearly 4 times the tonnage as the pros.
    Slider, you also mention that pros are taking larger fish on average, than the recs. Let's pluck a number here- since you mention larger breeders as your example, (twice the size). If each pro caught ( average) taylor equals two smaller rec caught fish that now means the recs are actually taking 8 times the number of individual fish than that of the commercial sector- and you are hyped up about he commercial anglers?

I'm not here to stir the pot, but hey, many rec anglers are firstly annoyed at the number of fish the commercial sector takes- but the figures????? Plenty to think about hey?
    Johnny

We all know what tailor flesh is like after just a few hours without being gutted - even if on ice.

Do you really think I'm biased mate? Noooooo - surely not.

Think I've argued on more than just this point of cats eating our fish. But I make no apology for questioning the destination of these fish. Can you state CATegorically that these fish weren't eaten by cats?

Why is it that I have to do all the work of proving I'm right when the obvious crime is to slaughter these fish which the majority of civilised people know this is simply wrong?
    At least when I was debating with Straddie there would be some real intelligence happening - where are you mate? - I'll put some more beers in the fridge and we can talk about leader fish and catch stats - yeah those were the days. But I have to say it's a pity that Pinhead has hung up the boots as he does have the abiliy to ask the tough questions.

The man who took the pics of the oyster cracker is a South African who simply couldn't believe that this sort of thing still goes on. He said that this crap stopped 20 years ago in Sth africa.

So which pro is your friend A DiffPerspectiveless?

Ah mate - we were talkin in weight measurements - 3.75 kg rec caught to 1 kg commercial. The ratio can't be diddled.
    Tailor is spelt with an i and commercial netters aren't 'anglers'.

Ah well, this thread will die a slow death now that nobody wants to argue with me anymore. But I'd like to thank a few people that have contributed and whose posts didn't get the attention I would have liked.

35kg jew - a dude who knows what's going on and is as frustrated as I am.

Rando - well, we've been talking about this for a while now mate.

Nigelr - obviously switched on and has comments always worth reading.

Midnight - for having no idea, but trying to.

Horse - for being the voice of reason on all matters.

Caster - for casting inaccurate aspersions about U.S. and W.A. fisheries.

4 x 4 frog - for being a good sport and allowing me to use his example to my advantage - thanks mate.

Wayno 60 - for the one liner of the thread.

Pinhead - for the question of the thread.

Silent - for the 2nd best question.

BajaEnsanada - where does that tag come from?

The Real Andy - the great impartialist.

Cuzza - top thanks - thanks for that.

Ric - for taking the time to say almost nothing - only joking mate, i do appreciate the support.

Lastly, but not least - A Diff Perspective - who at least put up some opposition in the absence of straddie who was sadly missed but certainly not forgotten.

Thanks to all - and until the next beach netter thrash - goodniiiiggghhhttttt!!!!!!

Thanks for the acknowledgement Slider. Much appreciated. Through our lengthy conversations on professional fishing methods, you have drawn a most well informed and accurate assessment of my knowledge and experience in this area.

Good luck in your endeavour to stop one group of people catching the quarter of the annual take of a species in favour of another group being allowed to take the rest.

No worries Midnight - you'll have to read again and perhaps this time comprehend what I've written. If you have a point of view with some sort of statistical or theoretical backing, then I'll happilly take it on board.

Lindsay

PS - Does Happilly have 2 L's - as in hillbilly?

Nah the quota is only one "L" for happily taking Tailor Rec fishermen

I am in agreement with the rec take of tailor being drastically excessive at Fraser - despite jokes - it appalls me when I am there (I've stopped going) to see the catch kill freeze mentality. If they can't kill a tailor then they'll kill a dart - is no good and seems to be a prospering mentality there.

I have to put it in perspective from a statistical point of view, but that doesn't make the situation right. I would like to see changes to recreational limits as mentioned in previous posts. And further - I'd like to see changes to numbers of people permitted on the island at any one time - as I've been calling for many years.

This thread could be an evolving one - but nearly out of beer.

I am in agreement with the rec take of tailor being drastically excessive at Fraser - despite jokes - it appalls me when I am there (I've stopped going) to see the catch kill freeze mentality. If they can't kill a tailor then they'll kill a dart - is no good and seems to be a prospering mentality there.

I have to put it in perspective from a statistical point of view, but that doesn't make the situation right. I would like to see changes to recreational limits as mentioned in previous posts. And further - I'd like to see changes to numbers of people permitted on the island at any one time - as I've been calling for many years.

This thread could be an evolving one - but nearly out of beer.

The boys are saying i need to be told things twice, but didn't know I had to say them twice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Ah mate - we were talkin in weight measurements - 3.75 kg rec caught to 1 kg commercial. The ratio can't be diddled.
    Slider

Interesting theory on vocalisation - never really thought about it before, but interesting to consider. Is this only beach based or included bluewater fish netting and river netting as well?

I think JM was trying to say that based on the above ratio (weight based) and your previous observation that commercial beach netters take fish twice the size of the rec anglers, then this must mean that as far a actual fish taken, then the rec guys catch 7.5 times more fish (numbers). For the sake of a working example, assume that the avg rec tailor caught is 1.5kg and the commercial guys are 3kg. Assuming the full catch quota is achieved, then 46666 tailor are taken by the commercial guys and 350000 by the rec guys. If this is all legal, then there is no problem and would indicate that despite beach hauling and vocalisation, plenty of rec caught tailor are still occurring. If the numbers are dwindling and long term species viability is at question, then this is another issue to be addressed (and it should). My concern is that if the governemnt is forced to address these issues, then they may look at total fish numbers being caught and by who. Alternatively, they will quickly realise that is is much easier and cheaper to ban than to manage and we all lose out. You seem to be against the current push for all fishos to work together (commercial trawl/line/netters, charter and recs) but if we aim to take out one, some of the rest of us may be taken out as well. As said in the past, I support the commercial buyout of netter via a rec license arrangement.

Are these tailor hauls being done every day, once a week or ? What happens to the tailor once it is carted away in the ute?

I would prefer that you respond without the immotive phrasing (leave that to the Greens) or trying to go for a cheap shot by critising someones spelling as it lessens your response and brings you to a much lower level.

For anyone who thinks this is ok is the reason our fisheries are in such a bad way most of the time.Come on can people seriously think that leaving these fish on the hot try of a ute in full sun is ok wat a disgrace i would of thought they atleast would of had some huge eskys on the back wit some of that commercial ice in there. Stuff the damn cats they eat enough birds and lizards they will be fine.Most people that comment and talk rec ver com and say recs that more.That might be true ut come on the every day angler is slowly learning and respecting and are basically taking enough for a feed and atleast they support the fishing industry buying bait hooks and gear.Now i spend months at fraser every year and i can tell u 90% of people have a wadder bag and look after there fish very well the comments on the recs just leaving them in the sun is from people obvisouly fishing wit rednecks who just think there tough killing wat ever bites there bait.. Down my way the tailor run at cabarita used to be famous now thats just memories as i rarely see more than 5 people fishing.Why cause soon as the first big schools of tailor turn up the netters arrive and smash them does not matter if there are people fishing they just pull up and net them day after day up and down the entire coast.Well im off to the airport had my 4 months off back to work tom!!!!!!!!!!!! damn