Thread: Hong Kong Tackle

Hong Kong Tackle

Hey people,
    Going to Hong Kong for a few days and was wondering if any of you have purchased tackle over there recently?
    I have been searching on the net and found a few places but all the comments and reccomendations from other fishos are about 3 years old.
    Heard its good for purchasing, lures and in particular squid jigs but not much on reels etc.
    Any help or advice appreciated.
    Cheers
    Knuckle

Re: Hong Kong Tackle

I posted this on the fishwrecked site in 2007...I don't live in HK anymore and I've changed come of the details...Triton moved their shop to the location described. All this info was correct in Jan 2010:

I live in HK, and yes, there are some decent tackle shops. The biggest is probably Triton Fishing Equipment which has a bunch of branches...them main one though is at 3 Connaught Road West, Sheung Wan, on Hong Kong Island. It's a walk from downtown Central HK. They don't speak much English but are otherwise pretty helpful...checkout the fishing photo boards, which prove that there are still some fish in HK waters. http://www.tritontackle.com/read.php?tid=313 ...Get off the MTR train at Sheung Wan, exit A1. Lots of nice stuff. Other braches are listed on this page, but the Sheung Wan branch is the biggest and best... http://www.tritontackle.com/thread.php?fid=48

You'll generally get better service, in English too, at Po Kee Tackle at 6 Hillier St, Sheung Wan...ask for Virgil... www.pokeetackle.com . Heaps of little bream-style lures and mini poppers (ecogears and other swanky jap brands for just A$5-A$7 !! ), as well as some high-end stuff. Get out at Sheung Wan MTR station, exit A2. This my fave shop, cos I've known Virgil a while. The shop is very easy to miss, though.

Last but not least is a tiny shop whose name I don't even know. To find it, get off the MTR train at Wan Chai, exit A3, then cross Johnston Road and turn right...walk 20 or 30 metres and you'll come to Tai Yuen St (which is a little street market)...walk down Tai Yuen St only a few metres and on your right you'll see a tiny alley way. The shop is in a doorway about halfway down the alley (it's very dodgy looking, but don't worry)...go up the stairs. No English, but some interesting gear...I picked up a Shimano Twinpower 8000PG there for about A$310 recently. They also stock big Stellas with a list price of about A$810 ...but don't quote me on this. (these prices have likely changed)

Now is (still) great time to be shopping in HK, what with the strong Aussie $. By the way, none of these shops have a street-level shop, just a doorway, with the shops upstairs...they are easy to miss if you aren't careful. And they generally don't open until noon.

Best of luck
    Ian

Ian,
    Thanks very much for the info mate, its very informative and detailed, Really appreciate it.
    Cant wait to get over there and have a look around, will be very interesting, got 2 days to explore by myself while the mrs is working, will def be buying lures and squid jigs etc, and if i see a good deal on a quality reel i reckon i will grab one also.
    Thanks again.
    Knuckle

No worries. Make sure you make a trip to the Aberdeen fishmarkets...pretty amazing for a fisho. Go early in the morning. Enjoy the trip and that strong Aussie dollar.
    Ian

deffinatly triton is worth a look and seven islands is good too.

Thanks guys,
    Ian, Will try and get a look at the fish markets for sure, sounds interesting.
    Mojikoman, triton and seven seas are two that i found on the net and will def be visiting, thanks.
    Cheers guys
    Knuckle