Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best snapper recipies

Best snapper recipies

Hi all ,
    Whats the best way that you like to cook your fresh snapper . I am sure that we all have a best style so lets share them

Re: Best snapper recipies

After trying all the seasonings I could find I have gone back to the dead stock standard rolling the pieces in plain flour with a pinch of salt and shallow frying them in peanut oil. Just love to eat the fish the way it is meant to be, actually tastes like real fish again.

On a side note though, my second fav way to cook chunks is to fine grate some mozzarella cheese and mix it with cornflake crumbs and do the egg and breadcrumb mix for a short deep fry. Still very fishy with a hint of nuttyness from the flakes and cheese.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    After trying all the seasonings I could find I have gone back to the dead stock standard rolling the pieces in plain flour with a pinch of salt and shallow frying them in peanut oil. Just love to eat the fish the way it is meant to be, actually tastes like real fish again.
    Couldn't agree more - except i use a pinch of pepper instead of the salt.
    Can't beat A-La-Naturale!

For me the one way I'm dieing to try again is crumbed and with a cheese and aspagrass sauce over it. But I will not have it untill I have landed my first knobbie
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

My favs are crispy skinned with ginger and shallot asian style mmm, my son goes nuts for this. the other way is plain old fried with salt and pepper and lemon myrtle olive oil.

come to think about it i better keep me a couple of pan sized snapper or pearlies tomorrow for dinner

I personally don't rate Snapps near the top of my favourite eating fish but I am still very happy to have a plate of nicely egg and breadcrumbed fillets put in front of me
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

re the roll in flour method......Try a pinch of curry powder (just the normal Keens stuff) in the flour, with a bit of salt and pepper. Shallow fry in some Crisco canola oil (dont use the 'cheap' stuff...there IS a difference). Serve with a squeaaze of lemon, some tartare sauce on the side with some crunchy home made chips.

Greg

Bloody beautiful guys , comps on this weekend so I will give them a go !!! cant wait

I just like it as simple as possible. Take out the gills and gut, leave the scales on then place on the bbq hot plate. The scales help to keep the juices in and the fish gets steemed inside. Just peel the skin and scales off before eating. Haven't had a complaint yet. ........now to catch a snapper.

A nice batter is great, skin and bone the fillets then 1 cup of flour to 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 a cup of water with 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and a pinch of salt, cut fish into smallish pieces dust in flour then place in batter and fry, this is great for flathead as well, turns it into world class tucker...

i go thai style, recipe for 4 good size fillets:
    1/2 cup light soy
    1 tsp chopped coriander
    2 cloves garlic
    2 birds eye chillies finely chopped
    2 tsp lime juice
    1 tsp brown sugar tightly packed
    2 tsp peanut oil

throw it all in a bowl, mix it up and pour over fillets. Place in the fridge for 10 mins. Cook it up on the bbq, drizzling the marinade over the fillets while cooking.

Serve with stir fry veggies. Hits the spot nicely
    Confucius says.........."Before man become master fisherman, man must become master baiter".

Shallow fried in butter with a squeeze of lemon, my favourite way to eat all fish.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post

I also agree. Why mask the taste of any good fish with something else?

Horse, you are not alone in not rating snapper, have heard that on here a bit. Its up there on my list, grew up eating NQ species of all types and reckon snaps are just as good as many of the regular fav's. Each to our own I guess.

Wrapped in Foil on the BBQ, whole fish with lemon,pepper corns, chilli, butter and parsley filled cavity, wrap it tight pending on size of fish 10 or so minutes a side, or close the lid and let it bake. my kids love it like this!! good with h/made wedges and a chopped tomato/red onion salsa.

Snapper fish mash:

Fry snapper fillets in white wine, lemon and butter

Prep mashed potatos, add basil pesto to it at the end

Make a stack with fish on the mash, and add parmesan cheese.