Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ***Amazing fishing stories****

Thumbs up ***Amazing fishing stories****

There's nothing more i love hearing than other people's fishing stories when they see something unbelievable and noone is usually around to see it or there is no camera available. So here's an opportunity to share them

I'll start

A couple of years back I was fishing in a pretty remote area in Northern NSW fishing in a river for cod surrounded by steep ravines that were heavily bushed. I had my girlfriend on one bank with her little cousin and i was on the adjacent bank with a steep hill behind me that continued up for around 200m. It was gettting dark and I looked back behind me to see a wallaby gently zig-zagging down the hill towards us. I said to my girlfriends brother, "check out the wallaby coming down for a drink".
    I waved to the others on the opposite bank to look as the wallaby was unusually close. It then disppeared down to the water level on the other side of a boulder about 5m away from where we were fishing. I then was surprised to see the wallaby sitting in the water and it then began to paddle around. Instinctively, I thought-why would a wallaby be in the water-I then turned back up the hilll to see a dingo sceaming down the hill right towards us to persue the wallaby. Holy s@$*t this is David Attenborough stuff! The dingo did not notice us and stood up on the same boulder right beside us(5m away) and watched the wallaby which was struggling now half way across the river. I tried to get the others to be quiet so we could see what was going to unfold but after about 4-5mins the dingo got wind and took off up the hill behind us, about 20m up, and began to howl like nothing else (very eerie). The wallaby was drowning and still had a way to go. The little cousin threw his lure at it and was able to drag it in and rescued it. It stayed beside them for about 15mins to regain itself and then took off. I was instructed to come back over as they were now scared-so we went to a narrower part in the river to swim across. I cast my lure just to check depth and BANG! I hooked up on my biggest ever cod-20lbs. Talk about a day-bringing my biggest cod with the dingo still howling in the background...gotta love that

Look forward to hearing your stories.......

Re: ***Amazing fishing stories****

Nothing as good as that hey,
    but myself an old mate and my 4 year old son had been fishing off the northern end of ironpot island at Yeppoon in beautiful sunny conditions for a couple of hours when all of a sudden we could here a torrential downpour of rain.
    We looked around everywhere and not a cloud in the sky.

This went on for 4 or 5 minutes until we saw the sea erupting over a vast area and moving closer to us. Starting to think earthquake, tsunami or something

Turned out to be a massive school of bait fish and the Schoolies were smashing them up something chronic.

The school moved through where we were sitting and we ended up with baitfish laying on the floor of the boat where they committed suicide in an attempt to get away from the schoolies. We quickly threw them on the hook and had a great time for the next 10 minutes catching schoolies.

That was the first and last time I have ever seen a school of bait-fish that big being busted up. It was awesome. It must have covered an area equivalent to a few acres.

Cheers

Steve

When I was about 13 our family took a year to go around Oz. We had a little 11ft car topper to fish from. We stayed on the banks of a river (Norman??) about 12km outside of Normanton on a little lagoon where the tidal influence ends- cant remember the name of it but Im sure anyone familiar with the area would be able to fill in the blank.
    Anyway I went out for an afternoon troll around the lagoon and hooked a barra (i think- it didnt get time to jump) I was on for a few seconds and he took a bit of line before spitting the Nilsie Invincible. I was pised and started winding in and the lure came to the surface twirling. I thought the fish must have knocked it out of tune but as it got closer I realised there was something attached. Sure enough my lure had reproduced because tangled up with my Nilsmaster was another Nilmaster- hooked from the jaw of the barra. I reckon that was a great indication of the popularity of this lure for both fisherman and fish alike during the 80s and 90s.
    I thought that is the arsiest thing ever and no-one else would have ever done it but no more than a week later we talked to a guy at a different boat ramp who had done exactly the same thing.

hardly earth shattering, but mildy interesting, I was live baiting one day (with a Yakka) and was fishing for more, and I caught the one I had on for live bait! hooked properly in the mouth, what are the chances of that?

nothing too spectacular,

I was out fishing with a mate and his son one day and while my mate was rerigging his son's line, his screams off and the rod jumps out of the holder and into the drink, he's noticeably pissed off but we kept fishing, him with his spare rod. About half hour later the replacement rod screams off again, this time he gets the rod and starts fighting the fish, gets what should've been the fish up only to find that the hook had imbedded into the grip of the rod he'd lost earlier. He just managed to grab the recovered rod before the hook tore free and still was on!!, a short fight later and a 9kg queenie makes it to the boat. now I've caught a few lost rods in the past, but always other peoples and always so old that you could barely recognise the make..talk about arsey! Anyway, hapy now the recovered rod was quickly doused in the fresh drinking water we had on board and we headed for home, a good clean up and re build the the rod/reel combo still works like it was just off the rack.

Another one was my very first go at making my own lures. We were camping with family when I was about 7 or 8 and fishing the murrumbidgee in Gundagai. We thought it would be a good idea to cut up and empty icecream container into various shapes, and using the campfire, heat up the little bits and bend and twist them to give them a bit of 'action'. We headed up the river that arvo and while soaking a few worms and grubs for some trout we cast these abominations around just to watch them skip across the surface....bored we gave up on that idea, left the bait rods out and proceeded to have fun throwing cow turds at one another. i left my 'lure' just dangling in the water and laid the rod on the bank, I got back to find the butt of my rod sticking up in the air and the tips had fallen and imbedded itself into the mud, I picked it up and found I had actually caught a fish! i littel 2lb rainbow trout decided he liked the look of the white bit of plastic fluttering on the surface in the current and snavelled it up. it was my first lure caught fish and all it took was a bit of time playing with sharp implements and fire. Dad still doesn't believe me regardless of what my 3 cousins say.

This ones called the Golden Touch.....

I mate and I were fishing Awoonga a few years ago on the weekend of the November full moon. Was some comp on so we thought we would sleep during the day (when the comp was on) and fish all night.

First night 1 cat fish to my mate, and nothing else.

Second night, 118cm to my mate.

Now we were meant to be heading home after the second night, but with no fish for me I called the secretrary and told her we had broken a windscreen and would be a day late.

Not sure why, but that third night I was on fire with 7 fish over the 100cm mark. After the 7th my mate was certain I had some magic golden touch, and asked me to rub my magic hands over the 2 lures he was trolling. After not getting a touch all night, we travelled about 30 meters before his Loomis/Twinpower combo goes flying out of the corner and into the black of Awoonga.

My mate quickly tries to pull his second line in and catch the missing rod, but to no avail, and was sitting head in hands up the front of the boat trying to console himself when I started bringing in my lines. Sure enough on the rear treble there was a single wrap of braid, and by the time I slowly pulled that braid in, I was holding my mates combo.

He was not aware of what I was doing, so I just asked him "whereabouts is your name on this rod, cause I think its mine now!"

Cheers
    Jim

"Turned out to be a massive school of bait fish and the Schoolies were smashing them up something chronic."

That is crazy mate-but what are schoolies? fish, sharks...? Very arsie getting another lure-the only thing that would put a smirk on your face after lsoing a fish I rekon....Awesome stories guys well done.

Schoolies are mackeral aidbox

Half a dozen yrs ago a good mate and myself were in a central queensland creek giving the fish some good exercise and the fishing was hot. We both got a bit cocky and calling the species we would try for on the next cast and getting maybe 50% of them right. I bespoke the cry of a mudcrab on the next cast with a deep diving lure and low and behold that is what i hooked fair and squarely in both the mouth and the elbow!! To this day I have not taken the piss and called the shots again.......seems more right just to accept what takes a bite than being so bloody cocky.
    Jack.

Not as fascinating as other stories. But fishing a local weir my mate got snagged and lost some line about half hour later hooks his old trace by having the hook go in the eye of a swivel. Was rather random.

Also my other not very keen fisherman hooked one of his best bream. Somehow the bream tangled and created a noose in the line by tangling it's self on it's fins and the hook wrapped on the trace an created a noose type action and we landed the fish laughing to find out how it was caught.

Quote Originally Posted by aidbox View Post
    "Turned out to be a massive school of bait fish and the Schoolies were smashing them up something chronic."

That is crazy mate-but what are schoolies? fish, sharks...? Very arsie getting another lure-the only thing that would put a smirk on your face after lsoing a fish I rekon....Awesome stories guys well done.

Airbox. yeah little Mackeral. Great fight on light gear and good eating.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

While trolling skirted lures for marlin I noticed a little extra weight on one of the flat lines,wound it in to find we had caught a SPANNER CRAB.Woo hoo on the board,not.Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Pete (Litenup on here) was pulling a Snapper. "It's a beauty, PB coming" or something like that. Anyway, he got sharked, and pulled up half a pb Snapper.

A small, sealed, very slimy packet of 3 inch lumo plastics falls on the deck. No one had such a pack on the boat. Logical conclusion? It fell out of what was left of the poor old Snap's gut!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

When I was young fishing with my dad for whiting, I remember him bringing one in only to be tested towards the boat. Turned out a nice sized flathead liked the looks of his freshly caught whiting. Ended up with both fish in the boat.

2 weekends ago my mate took me off the pin bar in his 5 m centre console, the weather was pretty ordinary but we punched out towards out mark with whales jumping all around us, nothing within 5 miles or so though. My mate mention how ordinary it would be to run into one of those things as they would definately do some damage. We get about halfway to our spot and low and behold, doing 15knots, my mate yells whale pointing to the port side of the boat. A fin pops up about 2 metres from the port side of the boat and as we drive directly over top of it I look to the back port corner of the boat to see a whales tail pop straight up. The whale had dived straight under the boat and the tail popped up within a metre of the boat and gave us a wave, all whilst we continued at 15 knots. It seemed like it happened so slowly but it was all over within about 5 or 6 seconds. The whale must have been just sitting on the surface as I normally see them blow in the distance and keep clear. I have no idea how we didnt hit it but the close up shot of these big units was something I dont want to see again, especially travelling along at a decent speed in a little tinny. For the next few hours whilst anchored up they jumped all around us, some breaching within 50m. We packed up after that as we'd seen on the news recently a whale landing on the boat and after our close call we had enough whale watching for the day.For the first time in my life, the fishing was quite stressful, anticipating where the next big bugger is going to jump.