Thread: Tarpon 160i or McKee plastics 'freedom'

Tarpon 160i or McKee plastics 'freedom'

Hi all,

this is my first post on this great website . I am interested in buying a fishing kayak and there is a couple of second hand yaks for sale in my area (perth), the tarpon 160i and the Mckee freedom. there selling for around the same price and was wondering of peoples opinnions.

i want to use it for in the river as well as going offshore. any advice would be great.

Cheers

Re: Tarpon 160i or McKee plastics 'freedom'

The Tarpons have a good name never heard of the other

Tarpons are a very nice yak that track well and are probably one of the fastest plastic SOT's on the market. My son in law has the 140 and it is a marvelous piece of kit that lends itself well to fishing. Only downside is the factory seal around the front hatch is not the best, a quick trip to Clark Rubber for two metres of the next size up and next hardness up neo seal and its near perfect. He outpaces me in my Swing over 2km by about 300m or so.
    Jack.

PA, Consider the capacity of the yaks too. consider your dry weight plus that of your gear and add a few kgs/lbs and then see what they both come in at. Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Smile Re: Tarpon 160i or McKee plastics 'freedom'

Thanks for the replies guys,

I decided not to go with either Instead i checked out a small business yak builder in willeton. The yak he makes are very affordable (600 bucks, with paddle seat and rod holders he said hed do any more uprades for a six pack) and only 2.7 meters, which means i can through it in the wagon. it is also a wider yak at around 70vm wich means it will hold my fat ass and it comes with a 10 year guarntee, so i figured how can i go wrong.

If i get into yak fishing whihc i assume i will as im eager as, ill upgrade to one of the better known kayak manufacturers. But all in all i think this will be a great starting yak.
    If you want to know the manufacturer or how it handles feel free to PM me.

Two more weeks and its mine. bring on the mighty ocean