Thread: 2-4kg rod and 1-3kg combo

2-4kg rod and 1-3kg combo

G'day everyone

I'm looking to upgrade a few of my rods and reels. I'm looking for a 2-4kg graphite rod for around $100. I've been using a Shimano Sahara rod, but I'm looking for something a little better.

I'm trying to find a nice rod and reel for flicking lures at bream and small flathead. I was thinking maybe a 1000 size Symetre with a Berkley Dropshot rod. My budget is around $200 max.

Cheers,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!

Re: 2-4kg rod and 1-3kg combo

I've been using 7' 2-4 kg Berkely Dropshots for years now and have an old blue one with cork grips and a Gen III which is a burgundy colour with eva grips that i bought as a spare for when my original dropshot died of old age. I team either of these rods up with a 2500 Symetre reel spooled with 6lb Fireline and 6lb Nitlon FC Leader for Bream or 12lb for Flathead. Everyone has their personal preferences but I have enjoyed catching every estuary species with this combo.

Recently I decided to buy a 7' 1-3kg rod to match to a 1500 Symetre and opted for a Pflueger Trion which I paid just over $100 for on sale. This combo is extremely well balanced and something that I can cast with all day. On one occasion a 65cm Jewie attached itself to the soft plastic meant for a flathead or bream which initially concerned me but was easily handled by this amazing little rod.

Take your reel into some tackle shops and fit it to any rods that appeal to you and buy the one that just feels right in your hand.

yeah if you end up buying the Symetre, you wont be left with much for the rod, being that they are around $140-$150, i would be more inclinded to get a little cheaper reel and a rod, spend about $100 on each, there are plenty of rods out there for that price, i just purchased a Berkley pro team Soron stick for $99 its a great little rod.EVA grips and a fast taper,love it.good luck with your choices

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Hey mate I run two set ups similar to what your after I have a sedonna 2500 spooled with 6lb braid on a 2-4kg pfluger trion (1pce) and 12lb FC leader for flatties and the the likes around the mouth i.e tailor, trevs & squire.

The second is a shimano raider 1-3kg with a sedonna spooled with 4lb braid and usually a 6-8lb FC leader. I personally love both setups just nice to have one rigged with sp's and a blade or HB on the otehr for a quick flick n change.

pflueger trion 2-4kg $100-$130 nice rod i love mine.i have stradic 2500fi on it.nice setup
    Why is it everytime i walk away from my rod it gets smashed

I have a trion 2-4kg matched with a 1000 stradic and find its a great outfit, i fish with 4lb braid..