Thread: today i answered two of the oldest questions .......

today i answered two of the oldest questions .......

today i answered two of the oldest questions .......

..... that have troubled fishermen since the dawn of time. or at least since the dawn of modern appliances.

first, can you clean your reels in the dishwasher? and second, if you get caught, what will your wife do?

well, i had a few hours at home before work this morning. i was looking at a box of reels that i got in the mail and figured that these really needed a good cleaning. with half a load of morning breakfast dishes and my wife out for a few hours, i seized the opportunity.

the dishwasher ran through the wash and rinse cycle, and started to dry. then, i heard the three words that a misbehaving husband fears the most. "honey, i'm home!!!" the first questions she asks is why the dishwasher is going. how do they know?

fortunately, she has a sense of humor. and lousy aim!

unfortunately, one dishwasher cycle did nothing to remove the corrosion on these old penns.

i was lucky this time. kids, don't try this at home.........
    eddie's brother, grady white 258

Re: today i answered two of the oldest questions .......

he he he that's awesome!!

Classic one Alan.
    I thought you'd already tried and that was the result. We have an aluminium ice-cream scoop and if it accidentally goes through a cycle, it'll come out caked with fine corrosion. I'd say dishwasher detergent is way too caustic for anything of light cast or aluminium based metals. I'd wash them ASAP in fresh water to halt any further degradation. not an expert on metallurgy by any means, just did a fair bit of casting and metal based work as a dental technician over the years.

Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

Alan you are a guru i love it!!! Hope your wifes aim does not improve for your sake.

try washing spanners and car parts, in the dishwasher

how about doing baked enamel in the kitchen oven.

or speed drying timber turning blanks in the microwave

I havn't washed car parts in our dishwasher... but I know someone who did.

Um yeh i would not have put reels with brass, nickle plate or alloy in the dishwasher.

ive done quite a bit of hand tool and reel restoration and there are much better ways of cleaning things up.

I have a bench grinder with a soft wire wheel on one end and a scotchbrite wheel on the other......that is a great thing.

for corroded stuff, an electrolisis bath is a wonder.......bucket battery charger and washing soda..top stuff.

check this http://www.htpaa.org.au/article-electro.php

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.