Thread: garlic prawns in oil and herbs

garlic prawns in oil and herbs

Hi there can anyone help here ? The missus and I use to go to a local italian restaurant and they had a dish that came in a cast iron bowl . It was prawns in oil but the bottom of the bowl contained all of these herbs and heaps of garlic . It was sensational ! We cant find the recipe anywhere and the restaurant is closed or moved . Has anyone else had this , it is really good and I would love to get the recipe .
    Cheers and tight lines !

Re: garlic prawns in oil and herbs

just sounds like normal garlic prawns. do have any idea what the herbs were ? i would bet it was just parsley and maybe some chilli or paprika. Heat olive oil or a combination of olive oil and butter, chuck in some garlic then the prawns. if you wanted any herbs chuck them in last just before serving. if you have those little cast iron thingys you can heat the oil to the point that it is just a matter of chucking in the garlic and a few prawns and they cook on the way to the table. just change the amount of garlic until you get it the way you like.

The Italians are good cooks . There was a restaraunt in Newcastle, should say Hamilton before the Newcastle Earthquake, it was called Etna . a sicillian joint and beaut chefs, with nice calamari and prawns done exactly the same.

Those italians and sicillians dont give up their trade secrets that easy, I know, I tried for a few years.

Peter

The Etna was owned by the family of a girl that worked for me. Agree, it was a ripper feed and did a great eel dish as well.

Steve

G'day Apollo (Steve),
    Small world hey!, do you still keep in contact with them? Recipe would be good

Cheers, Peter