Thread: whats your biggest dam barra?

whats your biggest dam barra?

hey guys
    i was just randomly thinking about how the benchmark for a barra was the metery (or 40lb) just 10 years ago. Now with the popularity of dam barra fishing and the mammoth sizes these fish are growing to what do you think is the new benchmark? 60lb fish are becoming increasingly common. and just to provide an example on my first trip to awoonga we caught 3 fish and they were all 1m +. Do you think we will see a 1.5m fish anytime soon? or possible a 80lb or even 100lb fish? Share your thoughts

My biggest is 1.27m monster from awoonga that was built like a fridge and i reckon would of been an easy 60lbs

so come on guys and girls what is your biggest dam barra!?

Cheers Tyson

Re: whats your biggest dam barra?

mate i am pretty sure there is a post back a bit that has this same topic there is some beauties in it too

1.27cm is an awesome fish well done, my biggest is this lame 96cm one from Monduran! Strangely enough it is also the size of my biggest saltwater Barra although the freshwater one was 3kg heavier.

Have lost my way a bit over the last few years and not done much Barra fishing, but hoping to change that and will try to smash my PB in October by spending a week at Tinaroo Dam.

Yeh big fish @ 127 - well done!

As far as how big / long we are going to see these impoundment barra - its anyones guess. I have heard of a reliable report of a 140cm plus barra being found dead at Peter Faust ........ the day after someone claimed to have caight a 140cm plus fish.
    So - while I feel that impoundment barra probably peak at around the low to mid 130 cm mark & continue to grow fatter....... there will be fish that have the genetics / luck etc to grow longer than that - but I dont expect to see these fish as being common regular catches.
    While my PB sits at 124cm .... I have certainly been hooked up to fish that have been much much bigger. One fish managed to run 80M - not stop against a fully locked drag back to cove (never slowed). Another fish put its head out of the water & flared its gills after hookup - I can still picture it ...... you would be hard pressed to have fitted one of those old style garbage bins over its head

Anyhow ..... regardless of size - its all good , best of all .... you just never know when you will hook up with one of those monsters.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I gote a 1.29cm barra out of Peter Faust about 3 years ago. Funnily enough use to catch heaps over 1metre but now with so much extra pressure you seem to catch more aroud the metre and not much over!

wow guys there are some great fish in here already. thats unreal that a 140cm probably already has been caught. only a matter of time i reckon till someone gets lucky and manages to extract a 150cm fish, i reckon they are definately around. cant wait till the holidays im gunna try and get to monduran and nail a few! nothing better than throwing unweighted soft plastics around in shallow bays and slowing wobbling them back across the surface and having your heart stop as a big fish smashes it. love it!