Thread: livebaiting for kingys braid with 40lb mono leader?what size?

Thumbs up livebaiting for kingys braid with 40lb mono leader?what size?

was thinking about 50 lb braid with 40 lb fluerocarbon leader do you think this will be ok for kings?Also what size and brand livebait hooks do you recommend.
    Last edited by mod5; 21-08-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Re: livebaiting for kingys braid with 40lb mono leader?what size?

The braid is fine, but the fluorocarbon leader looks a little light.
    If anything bigger than a rat takes a livie you could get busted off while trying to keep it out of the reef.

If you fish mid water then the 40lb should be OK.

Get you leader up around the 80-100lb mark, single 7/0 Gamakatsu Octopus or livebait hooks are good.
    Cheers
    Plato

i would say at least 60 or 80 pound leader is the way to go

thanks guys i will be livebaiting off rocks southcoast think ill go 80lb

think im going to put on 300yd 50lb spectra braid for backing than 300yd 30lb sure catch ghost mono than 80lb leader do you think this will be ok?

p.s was thinking going 40lb mono instead of 30lb but i found some of that sure catch ghost 30lb in room so might just go that.?

30lb will handle any king/AJ/Sambo to about 5 or 6 kilo. Anything bigger will turn 30lb into shreds. With big Kings go hard or go home.
    We live bait for them with 50lb mono main line minimum, most likely 60lb when around heavy structure. We use 100lb Jinkai leader for deep stuff and 60lb for the shallow stuff.
    Remember with kings abit of luck always helps, you can't win them all.
    Any chmically sharpened hooks that are strong and sharp will work, I prefer Gamakatsu octopus circle in 9/0 or 10/0, or mustad big gun in 12/0.

thanks everyone
    Why is it everytime i walk away from my rod it gets smashed

Quote Originally Posted by southcoasthunter View Post
    think im going to put on 300yd 50lb spectra braid for backing than 300yd 30lb sure catch ghost mono than 80lb leader do you think this will be ok?

p.s was thinking going 40lb mono instead of 30lb but i found some of that sure catch ghost 30lb in room so might just go that.?
    Do you think this would work out to be better than the above line lay out
    300yd 30lb backing connected to 300yd 50lb spectra braid than 10m of 80lb shock leader??
    was thinking put the 30 lb line as backing as that would be the weekest point of the line layout and shouldnt snap back that far, if the fish takes all my braid?wat do yous think this would be stronger than i origanally stated?
    Why is it everytime i walk away from my rod it gets smashed