Thread: Fly basics

Fly basics

Basically I want to expand my fishing experience and learn all about fly fishing. I'd like any info, advice and tips on anything relating to fly rods, reels, line, flies or just general fly fishing. I know very little but it looks like a lot of fun. Barra, jacks, salmon, queenies, milkfish, giant herring and permit are my intended targets in and around Broome but just about anything that's willing to eat a fly around here is a hard fought battle so more specific info on gear to target these species would be fantastic. I'm looking at purchasing an outfit in the coming weeks and appreciate any and all info.

Look forward to hearing back,

Damien
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

Re: Fly basics

Damien

Do a troll through UTube as there are plenty of instructional clips on fly fishing. I would say that if you can find a instructer, take that option to get you started as you are less likely to start with bad habits. They should give you plenty of info on rod, reels, line, etc. When spending your $ focus on rod, line and reel in that order. My guess would be a 9-11wt rod. I am liking the the Rio Outbound lines as they are quick to cast.

Worth contacting Chris at Fly World in Bayswater WA
    Ph: 1 800 066 828

Always found him helpful, on the money with prices and good service.

Have fun.

Steve

Yeah, Chris at Fly World is your man to start with. Also, get on to some other threads like www.###################.com.au or the forum at www.############.au and just have a look around. Also, if there are any fly fishing clubs in your area, get in there and have a look, start meeting people etc. Also, if want to jump start, then get some casting lessons. You don't NEED to, but you will pick up in one session what it may take you 6-months to sort out. Also, cruise ebay for any casting books by Lefty Kreh. Have a read, go and cast for a while, then read again every 6 months or so. You will find you will keep progressing. Have fun with it!!!

Sorry I`m a bit late getting in on this post, but there a few really good vieos put out by a guy named Lefty Kreh, that take you through the whole concept, casting, single and double hauling, steeple casts..etc etc and really easy to follow.
    Then it`s a matter of spending as much time as you have available and practice, on a footy ground or quiet estuary if you`re close enough.Keep returning to the video and sort out the problems before they become "Bad Habits"
    Good Luck....it`s well worth the effort!

Sorry I`m a bit late getting in on this post, but there a few really good vieos put out by a guy named Lefty Kreh, that take you through the whole concept, casting, single and double hauling, steeple casts..etc etc and really easy to follow.
    Then it`s a matter of spending as much time as you have available and practice, on a footy ground or quiet estuary if you`re close enough.Keep returning to the video and sort out the problems before they become "Bad Habits"
    Good Luck....it`s well worth the effort!

Check out a few videos by Lefty Kreh! study them ...then practice as much as you can, going back to the videos to sort out any problems...before they become BAD HABITS!
    It`s well worth the effort..

Yeah, I agree with Splashy 100%.. Lefty Kreh also has some really good instructional Videos out on basic Fly casting, really easy to understand, then PRACTICE...go back to the video...PRACTICE...back to the video..it`s well worth the effort, you can practice in your backyard or the local sports ground until you`re confident to hit the water, you`ll be hooked (excuse the pun)

look for mel krieger's videos. There are some on you tube. The man is a genius. I am just a beginner but he had me catching fish after my second or third go at casting.