Thread: looking to buy braid any advice

Question looking to buy braid any advice

i'm thinking of upgrading my lines to braid but not sure what size for fishing around moreton island etc. and weather or not to buy leader or stay with wire.i usually fish for grassy's or snapper and watching tv shows they all seem to use braid around 20 lb some advice would be appreciated. i will be going to bcf with my b'day vouchers

Re: looking to buy braid any advice

The finns is nice stuff, and tuffline as well.

Hi John ,it depends on what type of fishing you want to do with the braid and what reel you are going to put it on. If you are going to do a lot of casting I would recommend fireline on an eggbeater, which casts better as some braids twist off the spool. If you are mainly boat fishing braid like fins/nitlon are good choices. I would also recommend some fluorocarbon leader in a slightly heavier weight than the braid. See threads on this site for knots to use and joining leaders, or get them to show you at the store you purchase from.

does it matter what size reel i got i got both eggbeaters and overheads

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

buy finns and you'll be rite mate
    Hilly

thanks for your help

If you buy fireline buy the the crystal, some braids can pop when tying a leader but crystal is very trustworthy...

what style of fishing are you going to do. if you mainly bottom bounce with baits using the overheads i would go 40lb as a minimum and that is for nsw fishing. if you are tossing plastics with the spin reels then yes go for 20lb. what pound mono do you currently use on each as that would give you a rough guide.

i would also save the gift vouchers for something else fishing related and buy the braid from the U.S. way cheaper over there buying in bulk spools

one word. Ebay. Cheap as braid. I tested the 'pelagic' 20lbs and 50lbs. havent had any dramas with either.

Cheers
    Steve
    'Amateur Fisherman, Expert Storyteller'

Jerry Brown braid from Cabbage Tree Rod and Reel in the States.

Fish it a lot off the rocks.

Have 2400m of 30lb and 600m of 50lb on the way over for $230 Au, delivered.

Regards, Rob.

I agree with Steve;
    Pelagic Braid is good stuff and has never let me down either floatlining or bottom bashing. Some fancy colours too so watch the prices for a few days on ebay before you bid. Tuesdays - Thursdays seem to get the lowest prices. Be sure to use a 5m-10m leader though with any braid over rough ground especially when floatlining.
    For Snapper braid needn't be over 20lb and you can drop your fluorocarbon leader down to 10-12lbs if the fish are finicky.
    Cheers
    Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Member101 View Post
    one word. Ebay. Cheap as braid. I tested the 'pelagic' 20lbs and 50lbs. havent had any dramas with either.

Cheers
    Steve
    X 2 for ebay, i buy Finns of ebay cheap as.
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Quote Originally Posted by john dunleavy View Post
    does it matter what size reel i got i got both eggbeaters and overheads

Yes, reel size effects line capacity, so this matters a lot. What size reels do you have?

most braids come in roles of 100m or 500m, so if you buy a 100m roll (called a topshot) then your gonna need to tie it to some backing line, or mono, and that creates a potential weakspot. Id rather buy the 500m roll from the USA on ebay, they are so cheap.

I prefer Suffix Performance braid. Fireline is flat and doesnt cast well at all.
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

this is just my opinion and may save you money. if you are bait fishing then stick with good mono (there are a few exceptions like if you are deep water bait fishing). if you are using lures, soft plastics etc then i would strongly reccomend you use braid with flurocarbon leader. (exceptions to using braid with artificials would be trolling with mono).