Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyrnos/ Saltist ?

Re: Tyrnos/ Saltist ?

I used both the tyrnos and the saltist before settling for the saltist 40H. Ended up buying one with a level wind spooled with 60lb fins braid and one with out spooled with 80lb fins braid. Hooked into a school of 7-8 kg queenies and was glad I went the high speed retrieve on both.

I have owned all three reels (saltist,tyrnos,torium) the saltist is the best for reef fishing in my experience.tynos is awsome for trolling just a bit heavy to hold all day. toriums stay away from them ,between me and 5 mates they have all shit themselves. but using 30lb they hold up.

Big boss it seems you and your mates have had the experience of owning some of these rubbish reels if people tend not to beleive how bad quality they are all i say is go speak to anybody that fixes reels for a living and mention trinadads or toriums and they will not have good things to say that i can guarantee.

Just get an AVET

Ok Reggy why go the AVET , give me the hard sell bro, why better than the the other options ?

Have a look at what Alan Tani has found in the Tyrnos reels.
    See Avet vs Tyrnos thread regarding the drag material falling apart.
    This is on Bloodydecks forum.

+1 for the saltist. I run a 40H w 50lb. Great, light, compact reel. Excellent for bottom bashing which is exactly what i use it for. If you want a cross over trolling/bottom fishing reel get the saltist Lever Drag version.

I have a few tyrnos 30's and while i have had no trouble with the internals of the reels I'm onto my third set of bearings. I do like the reel for bottom bashing but the ratio is to high if you fill the spool full with line. What's the go with people complaining they are to heavy for bottom fishing. If you can't handle the small weight of a reel then you shouldnt be bottom fishing and need to take up Whiting fishing. lol

Greg

+2 for the saltist. I run a 40 LW (low speed level wind) 4:9:1 for bottom bashing works for me, it's a great reel.

Greg, with the quality reds you dispatch, I am not suprised you have done so many bearings..

For trolling I use TLD's, hard to kill (but have killed one).

Regards
    HOnda.

Hey guys thanks for all the input , I have decided to for a Talica 12, single speed, cant wait for it to arrive !!

good choice should work well.

check out the avets at tackledirect dot com i just bought the lx single speed for live baiting they have 6 or 7 ball bearings fully machined alloy frame they look the goods
    Why is it everytime i walk away from my rod it gets smashed