Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gut and Gill comps should be banned!

Re: Gut and Gill comps should be banned!

There are a few here who are not looking at the wider picture, Leelee knows Lake Samsonvale, Poddy is talking about NSW impoundments and NSW laws, some are looking at Barra dams, I'm mainly talking about Wivenhoe and Somerset. Getting on the net and arguing, or even just discussing it amongst ourselves will achieve squat. You need to lobby the correct people, and pray that the Greens don't get too much power on Saturday. Up to you whether you vote Labour or Liberal, just be sure to put the highest number in the Greens box. Don't follow your party's preference system, vote Greens last!
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

It's not for the monitoring of water quality in any way outside of the most seriously macro, a far better indicator of water health is the number and diversity of other smaller freshwater invertebrate life. this data is very easily obtained wherever there has already been a benchmarks researched.

Still nothing beats a flask taken to a lab at regular intervals. The science behind water quality within a range applicable to a water storage for downstream treated human consumption is very basic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Hi Lee, I just don't think the major reason we are permited to stock dams is so water quality can be monitored, particularly as it's so hard to get the permision to commence a stocking program in the first place, hence that reference.

While I don't doubt heavy metals would show up in fish if present, I've been out netting once with a scientist (Dave Roberts?) at Nth Pine before, he said they're not looking at too many dams at all and there's over 30 on the SIP scheme alone and he didn't mention heavy metals. I would expect that if testing water quality was the major reason fish stocking was permitted the testing would be more wide spread and more regular that it is now. It would only be a guess but I recon a species that sits and feeds on the bottom like jewies could be a better tester for heavy metals anyway, or maybe the silt. That's just my take on it all though.
    Cheers
    I agree but I was only passing on what heard.

I agree with what Dale said about it being to late, but from memory, it was about 3 years ago, i was told that because North Pine was deemed a still water dam the water had to be treated differently to that of water coming from Wivenhoe or below because it had already been partially cleaned from either coming from Somerset and runing down into Big W or running out of Big W. Also the main ones they try to test on are actually catty's and I think thats due thier proximity wihtin the water column.

I just hope the green or labour don't get in on the weekend because no water will be safe from them locking us out.

Cheers

Lee

Following on from Lee's comments regarding metal levels in stocked fish, here is a link to an article that appeared in 2006 regarding mercury levels in Hinze bass. Might be part of what was being said a few years back.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2....htm?site=news

There is a good response that D-man put up on Ausfish regarding that article.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/arc.../t-101095.html

I don't support the weigh and kill comps but as others have said, its a put and take fishery and most of them wouldn't be in the dams in the quantities they are unless it was due to the good work of the stocking groups in the first place.

What I did see at a ramp one day that disturbed me was a small comp or social event being finished up, several fish lifted out of the live well, measured and recorded, then being thrown 6 feet up and 10 feet out into the air as the method of release! Not much better than just killing them in the first place.

Fish stocking into public impoundments using community money for the major purpose of testing water quality? That's the most rediculous things I've heard in donkeys.

Where does crap like that originate from? Lee if someone at SEQ told you that, they're WAY WAY WAY off the mark & I'd really like to know who these people are. I've got a bit of an idea, & if correct it doesn't surprize me.

They may occasionally take fish to test these things, but a major reason? Not even a remotely minor reason, for fish being stocked.

If that were the case, I'd be sending our government departments / agencies an invoice for back-pay for over 20 years of work. Stuffed if I work my butt off for some poindexter to test for heavy metals. Let em jump over the side with a shovel. (I'd also be interested if those taking fish for testing have the relevant permits)

Fitzy..
    Last edited by Fitzy; 18-08-2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by rc@hinze View Post

What I did see at a ramp one day that disturbed me was a small comp or social event being finished up, several fish lifted out of the live well, measured and recorded, then being thrown 6 feet up and 10 feet out into the air as the method of release! Not much better than just killing them in the first place.
    I can understand you being upset however when they stock legal size trout in the US they simply dump them off the side of the bridge into the river, it doesn't look good but has been proven to cause no harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
    Where does crap like that originate from? Lee if someone at SEQ told you that, they're WAY WAY WAY off the mark & I'd really like to know who these people are. I've got a bit of an idea, & if correct it doesn't surprize me.
    I honestly dont' know there name but they do work at North Pine for SEQ so if you think you know who it is then you are probably right on the money becuase I do not know there name sorry.

Once again this was only info that was passed onto me by SEQ so I assumed that they also contributed to stocking for these specific testing purposes from the discussions that were had.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Cheers

Lee