Thread: yamaha 225 corrosion

yamaha 225 corrosion

Hi i have read a lot of posts on the us sites about corrosion in the big yamahas .the question is has anyone here had any personal experience with this ,is the problem in aus as well i assume the motors are all the same specs .
    and yes i have one with no problems yet (or ever i hope)

Re: yamaha 225 corrosion

Corrosion where mate? I have a 115 2 stroke 93 V4 - a pre-so called salt water model from memory. I have had the cover plates off to check it out and no corrosion around the heads. None in the externals of the motor or leg either.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Corrosion where mate? I have a 115 2 stroke 93 V4 - a pre-so called salt water model from memory. I have had the cover plates off to check it out and no corrosion around the heads. None in the externals of the motor or leg either.

Cheers
    My 85 mdl got the same bill of health last year.

I think he is referring to the later model 4 strokes and HPDI's?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

plenty of discussions on the US forums about the issue, it will be a while before it appears here though, those motors have not been a big seller here as yet, the problem is real and it is expensive, supposedly the problem has been rectified in the latest models, even though Yamaha claims it never existed.

yeah Noelm ias you said i should have said the f225 fourstrokes 2000-2006 era ,i actually thought that there were plenty about ive seen quite a few on trailer boats and assumed they were popular with pro operators ,i find it strange that all the forum reports were usa and not here in aus so anybody had a bad experience ?????

there was not a problem with the HPDI, it is only the 4 stroke, from US reports and a guy I know over there, the problem should surface here soon, it is a probelm with corrosion on an exhaust plate that is not visible without dismantling the motor, so it is rarely detected before, once it corrodes through, water just enters the engine and it's good night. But for the low hour rec user, it may takes years and years.

here you go, a current link from a US site showing the problem
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...on-repair.html and there is plenty more if you look, another problem that has come up is if you slow down quick, then water somehow comes back up the exhaust into the lower cylinder, whwich I would reckon would not be a good thing.

thanks noelm hadnt seen that post ,theres a fair bit of stuff on the us forums so a bit worried .some have heaps of hours some bugger all ,very disappointing

I think the disapointing thing is not so much there is an issue, but Yamaha is wiping their hands of it, unless it is still under warranty, imagine the cry if it were BRP and an e-tec with that problem, there would be angry groups with burning torches! all that aside, I think if I had a 200/225/250 of that era I would be spending the money and getting it checked and/or replaced as a matter of urgency, what it costs now, will be saved if your motor gets a sump full of water when running, or over heats.

OH and yes that link is a very good one as it has pictures of what actually happens, somehow it does not seem to be hours running related, but rather an age thing, the one in the pictures has a couple of thousand hours, but others have only had 2 or 300, go figure.

I hadnt heard of that - its not flash. Thanks very much gents for posting this up!

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I have the new 300 and i will keep an eye on it but seems so isolated. Seems everyone in America is having the problem maybe its a dose of Karma?!!

Marty

I don't think the 300 is affected, but I would do a few searches on the US sites and see what you can dig up, all motors have "things" go wrong, and just by the sheer numbers in the US (especially big HP) problems appear there first, there was a drama with the oil filters on the 300 for a while, but that was rectified quick smart. The Hull Truth is OK, but for more technical stuff Iboats leaves it for dead, our friend Kerry pops up now and then on THT.