Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My new boat - almost done!!!!

Re: My new boat - almost done!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DTHCoCo View Post
    To the unknown it may look all right, alarm bells ring to me when ever I see a bullet connectors I'm afraid its a dry joint waiting to happen. It may be slower but I soldier every joint and use a heat shrink seal followed by electrical tape if it's part of a harness, A little finesse goes a long way. I expected many ppl to flame at my response but I will never accept second best and when people are paying decent money people should be getting it. I'm sorry if I offended ppl but please do things the right way not just the fast way many of these electronics are life saving.
    You had better get your facts straight

Firstly, there aren't any bullet connectors - I am completely against these.
    All the joins in our wiring are done with resin filled heatshrink waterproof joiners. They are crimped, then heated with the heat gun which shrinks the casing and activates the resin.
    We use Cabac adjustable ratchet crimpers and test that every crimped joint is secure.

I find it interesting that you consider my work to be second rate and yet you use and recommend soldered joints
    In any Commercial Surveyed work we do it is a requirement that soldered joints are not used.
    Solder, combined with the heat used, creates a hardened stress point / weak point where the solder ends and the natural wire starts. Vibration and movement (especially amplified in the marine environment) can, will and does cause these joints to break.
    I have seen it a number of times, especially on switch panels and in places where the wires are not properly supported.

In a centre console like Matt's boat waterproofing is of the utmost importance.
    Take another look at the pic. Waterproof joiners, waterproof fuse holders, waterproof Icom VHF, waterproof Fusion amp & speakers, BEP waterproof switch panels, BEP waterproof Battery Switches etc etc etc.
    As you said, a lot of these electronics are life saving devices.
    Both Chris and I at Valet Boat Services are experienced boaties in both recreational and commercial areas.
    This experience we have is put directly into our customers boats' to make sure they get the best possible fitout and workmanship.
    Anyone who has had work done by us will know that quality in parts and workmanship is always chosen over price.
    If I can't do it to my standard, then I won't do it at all.
    We have many commercial operators that rely on our workmanship to keep their income generated, we have many live aboard couples cruising the entire Australian Coast and we have hundreds of Blokes who love their fishing and love to take their Wives & Kids out in the boat.
    I personally take to heart the safety and wellbeing of all these people.

I always welcome new ideas and will always explain why we do our job a certain way.
    Albeit that your comments and criticism are very degrading, I am pleased that you made them as it allows people to make up their own minds as to who knows what they are talking about.

Feel free to give me a call if you wish to discuss.

Regards,

Pete McCullagh
    Valet Boat Services
    0419 263 264

Quote Originally Posted by Grand_Marlin View Post
    You had better get your facts straight

Firstly, there aren't any bullet connectors - I am completely against these.
    All the joins in our wiring are done with resin filled heatshrink waterproof joiners. They are crimped, then heated with the heat gun which shrinks the casing and activates the resin.
    We use Cabac adjustable ratchet crimpers and test that every crimped joint is secure.

I find it interesting that you consider my work to be second rate and yet you use and recommend soldered joints
    In any Commercial Surveyed work we do it is a requirement that soldered joints are not used.
    Solder, combined with the heat used, creates a hardened stress point / weak point where the solder ends and the natural wire starts. Vibration and movement (especially amplified in the marine environment) can, will and does cause these joints to break.
    I have seen it a number of times, especially on switch panels and in places where the wires are not properly supported.

In a centre console like Matt's boat waterproofing is of the utmost importance.
    Take another look at the pic. Waterproof joiners, waterproof fuse holders, waterproof Icom VHF, waterproof Fusion amp & speakers, BEP waterproof switch panels, BEP waterproof Battery Switches etc etc etc.
    As you said, a lot of these electronics are life saving devices.
    Both Chris and I at Valet Boat Services are experienced boaties in both recreational and commercial areas.
    This experience we have is put directly into our customers boats' to make sure they get the best possible fitout and workmanship.
    Anyone who has had work done by us will know that quality in parts and workmanship is always chosen over price.
    If I can't do it to my standard, then I won't do it at all.
    We have many commercial operators that rely on our workmanship to keep their income generated, we have many live aboard couples cruising the entire Australian Coast and we have hundreds of Blokes who love their fishing and love to take their Wives & Kids out in the boat.
    I personally take to heart the safety and wellbeing of all these people.

I always welcome new ideas and will always explain why we do our job a certain way.
    Albeit that your comments and criticism are very degrading, I am pleased that you made them as it allows people to make up their own minds as to who knows what they are talking about.

Feel free to give me a call if you wish to discuss.

Regards,

Pete McCullagh
    Valet Boat Services
    0419 263 264
    I'm man enough to admit when im wrong, i'm glad you don't use dodgie bullet connector and i apologize for that statement.

Mate the only application in which you shoudn't / not allowed to use a soldier joint (and you should know if you have a trade quailification) and that is when working with AC mains household wiring, Due to the frequency in which active and neutral switch at 50hz or (50 times a second).

I find it hard to believe you even have a quailifcation with your post relievence to soldiering, yet another thing against your post if soldier is such a bad thing regarding vibration why if not all electrical devices including boat electronics have soldier joints on the pcb's (circuit boards for ppl not in the know) and wiring.

don't want to get involved in a personal debate here (but I will anyway) not too sure about the 240V ac thing, plenty of 240V equipment has soldered connections, although unsure about soldiered connections. The dabate on whether to crimp or solder has raged for ages, for me, unless I have access to a GOOD crimper, then I solder, if I have the crimper for the wire I am using and good crimps, then I crimp and seal with glue lined heatshrink. I have been soldering for more years than I care to own up to, and personally think PROPER crimping is best for boats, but I have (as mentioned) soldered thousands of joints and feel confident with my work crap crimps result in crap connections, a BP connector is better than a shit crimp.

In any case I am perfectly happy with the work Pete has done, and wouldn't hesitate to get more done. He certainly knows boats. As Noelm said the solder/crimp argument will probably go long after we are all gone.

Gand Marlin, well said; however, I can't agree on the "no soldering because of heat generating weak points at the joints subject to vibration etc etc". I wear the "green" skin for the govenment and have had a long career, most involving tracked armoured vehicles. The vibrations in these are enough to shake your fillings out - but every electrical connection in these vehicles is soldered - no issue
    Cheers
    Wal

Quote Originally Posted by Matt76 View Post
    In any case I am perfectly happy with the work Pete has done, and wouldn't hesitate to get more done. He certainly knows boats.
    And thats all that matters

Well all that said and done bloody nice boat,good wiering and a good to and fro of trade debate,let's let matt enjoy the boat!
    Cheer's Squid.

Here here! Let's talk about fishing, what's the weather doing Sunday?

It's gunna be hot n bloody sticky up here matt! The rain has ezed a liitle but now its comen outa tha ground! Ya just can't win bud!
    Cheers Squid

Well just in case anyone is still reading this thread, I have now had the boat on the water for near enough to 12 months. Have fished a fair bit in the creeks, have been over to moreton a fair few times and clocked up around 100 hours in it. I have sold off the 150 etec and put on a nice 140hp suzuki 4 stroke, beautifully quiet and smooth motor! There wasnt anything wrong with the etec but the right deal popped it's head up so I went for it.

I have loved the hull design of this boat and have decided I want to build a bigger centre cab, again will definately be a Performance Plate, so that being said I have listed this one for sale in the classifieds at what I hope is a reasonable price. Its not a desperate sale by any means so will see how it goes.

If anyone wants more info please feel free to PM or check it out in the classifieds.

Cheers
    Matt

Hey Matt

That sounds like a great excause for some pics up here man

Bigger ay mmmMMmmm sounds interesting ...

keep it up and u'll end up in something like Alexander lol

cheers Rod
    It’s the fish’s fault ….. because they swim in the ocean …..

Change of plan, instead of selling my baby we have set about turning it into a centre cab!

Have so far cut the hard top off (anyone want to buy a hard top?) cut the middle of the raised floor out and cut out the gunnels to narrow them up to make room to walk around. I will add some pics this arvo!

So you went with PLAN B again mate haha well done mate should be an easy conversion very nice boat keep the updates coming.

Quote Originally Posted by fisho8 View Post
    So you went with PLAN B again mate haha well done mate should be an easy conversion very nice boat keep the updates coming.
    Plan B the second? lol

Yeah mate it really looks like it will be an easy conversion, if we didnt narrow the gunnels up it would have been even easier but the cabin would have been too skinny. Would have been much better if I hadnt painted the hull, Oh well live and learn

Sam at Performance Plate Boats is an absolute wizz, I cannot wait to see it finished.

Pete from Valet Boat Services will get the exciting job of hooking all the wiring up again, I bet he is looking forward to that one haha. A few things I have learnt along the way with this boat build is how getting the right people for the job can make such a difference. Valet did the electrics hook up and the job was so neat I was able to go through and unhook all the electrics to rip the console out and everything was laid out so neat and organised I could find where everything went, and for a gumby like me, that is a feat!

Should have something to take photo of in the next couple of days.

Will be very interesting to watch this conversion,and im sure the grand marlin cant wait for sprays to come after electric photos are posted!!!
    Cheers chris.