Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My new boat - almost done!!!!

Re: My new boat - almost done!!!!

Excellent job Matt. Not only a great job on your behalf, but including the kids is a fantastic thing to do and something they will always remember. Well done.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by fishenmick View Post
    Excellent job Matt. Not only a great job on your behalf, but including the kids is a fantastic thing to do and something they will always remember. Well done.

Mick
    Thanks mate, Sam at PPB was great too, he encouraged the kids to come down and have a look anytime and he would run them through what he was up to and what was next. They have loved the whole process so far, now they just want to get it wet!

Awesome boat Matt she's a weapon. How hot do think she will get without paint or does the water do its job keeping her cool?

I had a 4.5m fisher centre console with a fully welded chequer plate floor a few years ago and the water did a pretty good job of sucking the heat out of the ally, on extremely hot days it got a bit hot, nothing a pair of thongs won't fix It's worth it for the ease of cleaning I reckon.

Its been a while since an update, I have got my trailer finished and galvanised, only to find out the whole package weighs more than I had thought and I will either need to put another axle under the trailer.

The boat has been sitting in my shed at home collecting dust, but is now out and on the trailer and will be heading back to performance plate boats to get a hard top on it and a few finishing bits so its ready for paint. More pics to come once I have something worth reporting.

nice boat matt just wondering are you painting the boat yourself

Quote Originally Posted by ampol64 View Post
    nice boat matt just wondering are you painting the boat yourself
    At this stage I am mate. My brother is a spray painter by trade so he will do it for me, and I suppose I will get stuck with all the crap prep work. One of my customers is building a spray booth as we speak 2 doors down from my workshop so I am just praying the doors are wide enough to get it in and we will paint it there. If we run out of time or he is busy I will get someone to paint it for me.

sounds great matt just thought i ask if you or your brother know what prep work is involved with the ally for painting . only asking as i will be painting my new platy when its finished in february.i do have exsperence in spray paiting but not with ally and would be gratfull for any tips you might have cheers john

Bloody nice rig there Matt. What did the weight end up being? I have a 5.2 plate Sporty 90hp Merc on a single axle trailer and it seems to be fine so I guess yours must weigh a bit more than mine. PM sent re the trailer.

Cheers.....Terry...........

Quote Originally Posted by Matt76 View Post
    Its on the trailer!!!!!!!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Not wanting to be a knocker... the contrary I love the idea of building a boat out the way you want it... I was just looking at the axle line of the trailer.. when you put the motor on the back I think the weight of the boat etc will be a little too far back and be trying to lift the back of your car..

I guess you are going to set it all up right after you send it away for galvanising, just flagging it for you if you haven't picked up on that just yet.

Did you find the build etc cost more or less than buying the boat pre built?

Quote Originally Posted by fat-buoy View Post
    Not wanting to be a knocker... the contrary I love the idea of building a boat out the way you want it... I was just looking at the axle line of the trailer.. when you put the motor on the back I think the weight of the boat etc will be a little too far back and be trying to lift the back of your car..

I guess you are going to set it all up right after you send it away for galvanising, just flagging it for you if you haven't picked up on that just yet.

Did you find the build etc cost more or less than buying the boat pre built?
    Yeah thanks mate, the axle setup can slide up and down the chassis, so when the motor goes on I would just adjust where the axle is to get the balance right.

It's been a long while coming but I finally dropped the boat off to the painter this morning! Spent the last couple of days drilling and cutting holes, trying to work out where everything goes and sanding back all the aluminium ready for the painter (absolute sh#t of a job...)

I decided to get a hard top on it, and really struggled with a design because there was very little to copy off for a side console. Sam at Perf plate whipped up an absolute cracker for it, and it is strong enough for us to climb up onto and jump off if we get brave enough haha.

The trailer is dual axle now and I feel much safer for it.

Have bought a 150 etec for it (second hand) I know there are very mixed reports on them but at the price I got it for it seems worth the gamble. Time will tell I guess.

great effort matt,looks fantastic,doing a lot of the work yourself makes it even more rewarding.wont belong now by the looks .

Looks fantastic. Love to see some more pics.

Rhino...

good stuff matt, keen to see it all painted up behind the nav