Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: impoundment barra rod

impoundment barra rod

hi guys.
    Im on the hunt for a baitcaster fishing rod for fishing impoundment barra like awoonga and callide dam. I have a curado e5 and was looking to match it with a good rod. I have heard of people using shamano raiders, g loomis, diawa etc and would appreciate if you could give me a few suggestions.

Re: impoundment barra rod

Budget.............................?
    Raider gets my vote....dont overlook the Shimano Jewel Rods - they are so much sweeter than the Raider's - maybe a bit girly looking but...lol.......the website's dont do them justice.

So many choices out there ..... but like Cindy said - "what is your Budget"

You mention Raiders through to Loomis ....... low $100s - many hundreds

So how much barra fishing are you going to do ?

personally ...... I would avoid the cheaper rods like Raiders ,Jewels , Trions , Dropshots etc

You've got a decent reel - match it to a decent delivery tool

My start point would be the Shimano T Curve - these are well proven & regarded . ($260ish)
    The Loomis Forcelites are a pretty good rod but you are now paying around $400 (designed for Barra)

If budget allows ($500) - My personal favorite is the Samurai 451 - It's a extremely well made , practical barra rod - the 6'6" length makes it perfect for both HBs & plastics - It's certainly worth the money spent.

There are some other choices that fit in between that should be looked at Egrells , Pflueger Supremes , Nitro's , Wilson live fibre impoundment.

Brands like Loomis , Samurai & Nitro offer a pretty good warranty against breakages - & that is something really worth considering.

Anyhow ..... best of luck with your search

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

chris hit the nail on the head ,the raiders are great for the money but buy what you can afford ,as you go up in the price range the quality improves imensely,eric grell builds a couple of beauties here in the bay with the new reel seats,in the 500 to 600 range they are top notch and great warranty too ,i have a couple of custooney rods too built by a mate and they are samuri blanks with fugi guides nice rods too ,price in the 450 to 550 range,good luck with your choice

thanks Chris,
    I will be doing a sh%t load of fishing as the tempreture warms up in calide dam maily but also awoonga. and being that awoonga has some propper snodges i need a rod that is quiet heavy with a fast action. The price range i would like would be around 200 to 400 dollars. I know the nitros and samuris dont fall in that range but there must be other good rods around in that price range.
    Thanks David.

Hey warrior
    When you said Eric Grell builds rods in the bay, which bay were you talking about and what blanks does he use?
    Cheers David.

Eric's in Hervey Bay, and he uses his own blanks. IMHO the best barra rod on the market, bar none.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Generally barra rods need to be only about 5ft long with large eyed guides to allow larger knots of 50lb mono tippits pass through
    But of course this depends on the individual
    I use some great rods by ian miller a two piece that is modeled on a loomis blank
    was called the gold barra and a gold bass
    20 or so trips Some real horses cought no worries I put these in my will as i wish to be burried with one THEY ARE UNREAL
    I can cast these all day unlike some of the fast action rods that dont present lures at snags as easy
    Try a g loomis gl2 not a bank breaker and a fair warrenty
    Another tip is to use a very slow reel with gearing of about 5:1 for barra most reels these days are way too quick
    Hope this helps Tim.

Cheers mate,
    do you think the gl2 is better option for barra then the gl3.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    Eric's in Hervey Bay, and he uses his own blanks. IMHO the best barra rod on the market, bar none.

I thought his blanks were sourced from CTS.

Toddy

Quote Originally Posted by Redone View Post
    thanks Chris,
    I will be doing a sh%t load of fishing as the tempreture warms up in calide dam maily but also awoonga. and being that awoonga has some propper snodges i need a rod that is quiet heavy with a fast action. The price range i would like would be around 200 to 400 dollars. I know the nitros and samuris dont fall in that range but there must be other good rods around in that price range.
    Thanks David.
    David .... The Nitros should fit in that price range....$330 (2 piece rod)
    The Loomis Forcelite 12-25lb comes in at $400.

One thing that I have learned about suitable barra rods is that you dont need broomstick stump pullers with huge line ratings - you're not dealing with black bass. Rods rated at around 8-10kg will do the job for you.
    While rod length is a personal choice - it is much easier to cast longer rods particularly in the open waters of Awoonga and Callide......

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy_again View Post
    I thought his blanks were sourced from CTS.

Toddy
    OK, should have clarified it a bit. Eric sources blanks to his own design. He does not manufacture the blanks himself.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

If you are fishing mostly SPs for Barra (which most do these days) have you thought about a spin outfit as against a baitcaster outfit. Far better for getting the lures right out there.
    Just a thought...
    Flatzie

Thanks Chris,
    had a look at the nitros and they look nice, but what size nitro is $330 and also I was just wondering do you think a 6 - 8 kg rod will be alright?
    Thanks David.

Quote Originally Posted by Redone View Post
    Thanks Chris,
    had a look at the nitros and they look nice, but what size nitro is $330 and also I was just wondering do you think a 6 - 8 kg rod will be alright?
    Thanks David.

David

from memory its the Dominator
    My preferred rod is rated at 12-20lb (Samurai) - It really depends on the actual rod - some are well & truly underrated ..... & the Nitro will punch well above its rating ...... The same goes for the T curve 6-10kg .

You really dont need a thumping great broomstick

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO