Thread: Cod help

Cod help

Hi Gents,

I am off to the Granite Belt in a few weeks for the very first time, so looking forward to walking the banks in the hope of that ellusive Cod.

My question is, what lures to take. I don't want to spend a fortune straight off, as I know I will in the long run, as we all do. I have mainly Bass and Barra lures.

Do you guys upgrade hooks.

I would guess 20lb leader would do the trick?

Much appreciated...

Re: Cod help

Quote Originally Posted by woolybugger View Post
    Hi Gents,

I am off to the Granite Belt in a few weeks for the very first time, so looking forward to walking the banks in the hope of that ellusive Cod.

My question is, what lures to take. I don't want to spend a fortune straight off, as I know I will in the long run, as we all do. I have mainly Bass and Barra lures.

Do you guys upgrade hooks.

I would guess 20lb leader would do the trick?

Much appreciated...
    Mate i find that the Spinnerbait is hard to go past,, The bigger the blades the better,,, In black & red or black & gold Purple works well to & put a plastic on it as well..
    Don't have to upgrade hooks but its not a bad idea to put a stinger hook on...Or almost any diving lure will do the job (up here in the rivers we use shallow diving big bodied lures)..
    20lb is good enough for the rivers but i like to use 40lb up here at Copeton in case i get that metery i'm after..
    Where are you heading???

Cheers Baz

i like the chatterbait, in black with red or purple..they love it...great part of the country and great fish...good luck

Try getting them at woolworths, there about $13.00 compared to around $20 at BCF & some fish shops.

Thanks fellas.

Bazz, I think its the Seven River near Emmaville. This time of year we are hoping the big girls will come out to play.

Hi Woolybugger,

There are two seven rivers, one flows south of Stanthorpe & out through Sundown National Park & then becomes the Dumeresque River which forms the border for a couple of hundred k's. The other starts south of Tenterfield & flows west through Pindari Dam. Both rivers flow through some spectacular country. Don't forget the woolies, I was in Stanthorpe over the weekend & it was bloody cold.
    Good luck wherever you go.

Cheers Andrew

I fished the severn river a couple of years ago and lost count on the amount of cod we caught its an awesome bit of water. We found the bassman chatter baits, 3/8 spinnerbaits and topwaters to be the most productive.

Since then i have done alot more cod fishing and would now say the most productive cod lure in my arsenal is the jackall tn60 (silent) it has caught cod big, small and everything in between.

As a bass fisho i'm sure you have a couple of these already i find the silent ones to work better, but i'm sure the standard tn's would work fine.

At dawn and dusk we experianced an insane topwater bite in the shallow pools the topwaters of choice were Megabass giant dog x and tiemco riding pepper in natural colours.

Hope this helps mate.
    Cheers Kyle.

All good advice above, dont be afraid to throw around your rattling TN70's & Doozers either. HL Gold or red/black

Nice part of the world to fish in good luck on the cod mate.

Id be tossing around a red and black spinner bait with gold or copper blades as a first choice target the deeper , stiller holes and retrieve as slow as you can, close to big logs and rocky bolders tight lines too you ! Hopefully not the snags causing the tight lines.

Cast your arm of will be the go, just keep casting at structure and be patient. I find purple is the go to colour.

Lures such as Mudeye's, Bassman Spinnerbaits & Jackalls will be the go

Cheers

Phil

do a search on gidgee lures for some excellent cod lures, the weird looking topwater lure goes a treat.