Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Redclaw in Winter

Re: Redclaw in Winter

Aussie123,

Have a great time barra fishing. If you get a spare one you dont need, I'll be happy to take it off your hands

Thats kool,I will bring a feed home for ya

Aussie123,

No worries, thanks mate, let me know when you get back

Hi All,

We are going up to Somerset this weekend, got to find spot B, G, X, Y, any more to find?

Never much luck with catches, hope to do better this weekend.

Bigger 4 mt tinnie this time, up from 3.3 mt.

Jeffrey

G'day Jeffery,

Yeah mate, you will do ok if you soak your pots for the night or if there is a lot o cloud cover and use rockmelon.

Make sure you ride shotgun or fire a bullet below the waterline on the mongrels that tend to lift your pots and those rude and arragant ski boats.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

May-be that's why I don't get many Redclaw, mongrels, will keep eye out.

Got 1/2 dozen last time, forget which dam though.

Know all about the skiers, had some quite close some times. Should be about 6 or 7 boats of 'us' up there so will chase them down.

Give you a report on Monday, hope it's not a donut report.

Jeffrey

G'day Jeffrey,

If you go to Somerset you will get a few but like most things, more boats and pots the chances of being hammered does grow.

North Pine Dam is also another place. Wivenhoe Dam would be a sure bet but you can only use electric motor or sail, no petrol engines unless your an authorised vessel i.e. SEQWater, Research or Water Police.

Yes Jeffrey. its a sad state of affairs when scum bags lift other peoples pots and clean out the catch.

I'd love to be an undercover cop, I reckon I would nail quite a few. Marvellous what you can see using night vision goggles.

Peter

Peter

Well day one and one redclaw, no fish but it was a nice day. The others said it rained heavy Friday, we came up about 09:30 today and went straight out for an hour or so, spent half that setting up, then came back and had lunch and went out again past Queen Street and trolled on the lecky with no luck. The missus amussed her-self taking photos of cows and birds. Checked pots on way back for the one redclaw, will keep it for tomorrow.

Got the brazier burning away while cooking dinner and staying warm.

Get up early for a dawn session, see how we go.

Jeffrey

Home already. Got no fish but about 20 Redclaw, threw back 6 small ones.

Had 2 sets of 2 pots down and lost one pot. Hooked for it for quite a while, had them tied to a tree stump so I knew where it was but could not find it.

The biggest Redclaw caught, in our group, was 285 grams, the biggest Bass was 580mm.

Maybe next year I'll get on the board.

Jeffrey

G'day Jeffrey,

Sorry to hear you had no joy on the redclaw , looks like you been to an area where every other person has traversed. good size bass though.

Was you using rockies for claw bait?

Peter

Talking Re: Redclaw in Winter

Oooooooooh! love that rain. Too wet to work and dropped the pots in at Somerset last night. plenty of water coming in the streams when I checked my pots. got 48 redclaw today. In that creek where you and I got bothered by that skier last year Bondy? Good size too. I was carefull enough to conceal the floaties too. No share farmers today.

Yes Peter no bass for me but a few in the group had some luck, the best was over 2 metres of bass, 3 had over 1mt, it was our yearly comp.

We put the pots down only a few bays from the ramp towards the wall so need to travel further next time. We did use rockmellon, got 2 small 60mm bass in one pot.

Cooked them when we got home. Iced to kill, tailed then marinated in various sauces and cooked. Even a few of the claws were big enough to eat. Next time I will scrub them clean to get rid of the dam algae.

Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Pero View Post
    Oooooooooh! love that rain. Too wet to work and dropped the pots in at Somerset last night. plenty of water coming in the streams when I checked my pots. got 48 redclaw today. In that creek where you and I got bothered by that skier last year Bondy? Good size too. I was carefull enough to conceal the floaties too. No share farmers today.

Good one Pero,

Yeah I was thinking about that spot the other day thought it would do good.

Did you go to the other spot sort of diagonally opposite, I reckon that would be ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey_h View Post
    Yes Peter no bass for me but a few in the group had some luck, the best was over 2 metres of bass, 3 had over 1mt, it was our yearly comp.

We put the pots down only a few bays from the ramp towards the wall so need to travel further next time. We did use rockmellon, got 2 small 60mm bass in one pot.

Cooked them when we got home. Iced to kill, tailed then marinated in various sauces and cooked. Even a few of the claws were big enough to eat. Next time I will scrub them clean to get rid of the dam algae.

Jeffrey

jeffrey, Nice size bass 2 metres, that would be an old one for sure. Good size 1metre bass, should have posted a few pics, I've never seen them that big, only smaller buggers.

Oh well , them the breaks I'm sure you will do better next time

Peter

They have been on at NPD all winter this was from soaking pot from 7am till midday. Bait was Woolworths home brand dog pellets.

Cheers
    Ray