Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Cairns wind

Re: Cairns wind

Havin a go tomorrow - should be good out there!

John

It was ok today, 10 knots...got 5 trout and eastern patches and a mac, and we lost alot of fish too. I was suprised considering the lack of movement in the tide...wasn't the best result but a much needed fix..

It's killing me, look out to green island at the moment and its oily. Damn this work, I hate it.

Then of course can't go tomorrow and then it'll be rough on sunday. Just my luck.

If you get out I hope you make the most of it and catch a few.

Pazz

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I went out yesterday and got 5 trout on bait and half a doz GT's on poppers at one of the closer reefs.

Thought I'd be clever and went out to Hope reef today - got smashed by sharks, no current to be found (by me anyway) and no fish (only one trout caught trolling when I went over some shallow stuff.

A mate who went to a closer reef caught heaps of trout.

Half ya luck lads...

Im stuck here in PNG..hopefully over the next 3 weeks while im break should get a few good days..

joey

Dont mean to stress you Pazz, but we got out too to a great day, 21 trout 3 trickies, a 58 cm red plus assorted reefies Four of us fished
    Real happy after the bad run of weather!

I will post a pic later tonight
    Cheers
    John

Heres a couple of pics of the day. My son Jeremy with a nice 58 cm red, a great swim at Vlassoff on the way home, and the catch, which yes, looks very meaty but it is the catch of four fishos .
    Also My girl and I love to pan fry some of those Moses Perch and an ocassional Hussar scaled, dipped in Holbrooks Worcestishire sauce and then fried Golden brown in the pan!

Cheers
    John

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

geez you must know what you're doing John.

Nasty surprise for those headed out this morning - hasn't been under 15 knots since 6am!!

Actually the wind came back up early last night as a mate text me from the reef asking what on earth was the forecast as it was like a washing machine out there.

I checked at 9 pm and it was 18 knots from the south. ! Small window it was

JOhn

Wow you blokes cleaned up John! Good haul after so long not out, Jeremy must have been stoked! You sure are in fish heaven up there, but have to celebrate with you!
    The boat looks great in the clear water, new paint etc.
    Im in USA now and look forward to Hinchinbrook soon!
    Flatzie

Hey John,

Is that a mother in-law there? Should be throwing those back ha.

Well I was one of the stupid ones that went yesterday and it was a bit bumpy in the morning and was wondering what the hell we were doing out there. We just went along steady stready. Just dad and me and we got out 14 trout. But the sharks gave us a touch up . I'll post photos later.

Pazz

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Hey John,

Is that a mother in-law there? Should be throwing those back ha.

Well I was one of the stupid ones that went yesterday and it was a bit bumpy in the morning and was wondering what the hell we were doing out there. We just went along steady stready. Just dad and me and we got out 14 trout. But the sharks gave us a touch up . I'll post photos later.

Pazz
    I knew someone was going to pay out on me about the mother in law LOL!!

Actually I bring one home occasionally to use diced up in a Thai Geen Curry, They go well for that only

Cheers and sound like you did well too

John

Ha Ha, sorry John, I thought I'd have to be that someone.

Yeah we did well, you guys did very well also. I was surprised how keen the fish were, I thought they would have been off the bit, but they bit all day. I reckon we lost 10 trout to sharks at least. One big buggar came up and ate a nice one about 8 feet under the boat. Not happy.

Was a little bit lumpy in the morning, it was about 17/18 knots but it was strange, it was not that uncomfortable for some reason. It was really nice fishing weather I thought. We were keen to head out into the deep water and chase a few big mouth but was probably a couple of knots too windy so we headed home around 1ish. But god there were a lot of boats out for a not real good day.

Here's a couple of photos.

Pazz

Anyone going to have a go on Sunday? I'm thinking about it.

Next week looks like a pearler. But the demands of work will interrupt my fishing again.

Pazz

Heres hoping! maybe Monday