Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Cairns wind

Re: Cairns wind

So anyone getting out this week?
    Im going out either thursday or thursday night from cairns

Looking like a the long pattern of highs might finally be breaking (heres hoping)
    Cheers
    John

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    So anyone getting out this week?
    Im going out either thursday or thursday night from cairns

Looking like a the long pattern of highs might finally be breaking (heres hoping)
    Cheers
    John
    I don't think you should be going this week John. The reef is closed until sunday night. Typical tho, weather drops off when they spawn and will blow for the rest of time.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/30_18783.htm

Pazz

double posting - sorry.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I went out sunday and got smashed around. Was rougher than I thought it would be so came home fishless through mountainous seas. Went out this morning for a troll near double island but did no good. Might go thursday chasing pelagics if the wind comes down as predicted

Quote Originally Posted by scuttlebutt View Post
    I went out sunday and got smashed around. Was rougher than I thought it would be so came home fishless through mountainous seas. Went out this morning for a troll near double island but did no good. Might go thursday chasing pelagics if the wind comes down as predicted
    Jesus, you were a hell of a lot more keener than me. I had made my decision on saturday when the forecast was more than 15. Would be luck to use the boy 5 times this year I reckon. Weather is terrible.

Pazz

hey guys, good post thanks.

i'm heading back to Cairns soon after far too many years away, and bringing a 4.8m poly. in the Torres Strait i could comfortably and safely travel 20nm in 10-15kt but would do other activities if it was 15kt+ smaller chop there that kind of stood up, fairly uncomfortable in the exposed bits but not unsafe at 10-15kts.

is Cairns pretty much the same, thinking about hitting Kings Point and the Green Island wreck if it's 10-15kts, is that ok in my size boat? Will head out past fitzroy if it gets to 5-10kts (ever by the sounds of it lol).

thanks in advance guys. nicko.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Jesus, you were a hell of a lot more keener than me. I had made my decision on saturday when the forecast was more than 15. Would be luck to use the boy 5 times this year I reckon. Weather is terrible.

Pazz

Stupider than you Pazz. Was overcome with keeness but it was a stupid idea. Even today was OK at double island but not great (especially as I caught stuff-all). Just have to remember this next time I get impatient with the weather!

Nicko yeah that sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    I don't think you should be going this week John. The reef is closed until sunday night. Typical tho, weather drops off when they spawn and will blow for the rest of time.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/30_18783.htm

Pazz
    Yeah Pazz youre right! Cant believe I missed that! A mate of mine just reminded me Bummer!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post

i'm heading back to Cairns soon after far too many years away, and bringing a 4.8m poly. in the Torres Strait i could comfortably and safely travel 20nm in 10-15kt but would do other activities if it was 15kt+ smaller chop there that kind of stood up, fairly uncomfortable in the exposed bits but not unsafe at 10-15kts.

is Cairns pretty much the same, thinking about hitting Kings Point and the Green Island wreck if it's 10-15kts, is that ok in my size boat? Will head out past fitzroy if it gets to 5-10kts (ever by the sounds of it lol).

Hi nicko
    Yep that size is basically OK but you will feel a bit limited overall as its a long way accross the paddock to the start of the reef

But if your patient you will still get some fishing in.
    6 metre is better But I have one of those and think sometimes about a 7 metre! LOL!! especially in this shocking run of wind this year - never seen it as bad as this in the 24 years I have lived here. But it will change
    Cheers
    John

Quote Originally Posted by scuttlebutt View Post
    We went out Sunday Too, it was abit above what was forcast, managed 8 trout before deciding to go and sit on the sandcay for a bit of lunch before heading home. Had a feeling my wife was really glad to be on some hard ground for a little while before heading for home.

Ron
    Make something Idiot proof and they make better Idiots

Lot of flow at the GI wreck, will depend on what you encounter on the day, certainly achievable but for me a solid 15kn with gusts on top i would stay home instead or head out fitsroy direction for a troll around if felt the urge. Big tides this week too!.

Tinaroo might be a better bet.

Hi nicko
    Yep that size is basically OK but you will feel a bit limited overall as its a long way accross the paddock to the start of the reef

But if your patient you will still get some fishing in.
    6 metre is better But I have one of those and think sometimes about a 7 metre! LOL!! especially in this shocking run of wind this year - never seen it as bad as this in the 24 years I have lived here. But it will change
    Cheers
    John

Thanks John, just found out that my Mum is moving to Newell, so I'll be heading out around the Snapper Is. and Daintree area as much as I can. At least then it's 9nm to Low Isles then another 8nm or so to the first reef edge, will try and stick to inshore mainly though, enough trolling and sounding and I'll wire some spots pretty quickly.

I can always have a swim and look for some crays if the fishing is slow.

Have hit a couple of blokes up about being a potential deckie for the offshore stuff but will run out to GI wreck on a nice day in my little tub, or Kings Point.

24' or so is definitely on the cards, have been looking at boats in the USA, will be going halves with a mate in a couple of years. Halving costs in everything will be nice.

Looking forward to posting some fish pics, fishing Bundy to Hinchy soon so I'll put in a trip report.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Lot of flow at the GI wreck, will depend on what you encounter on the day, certainly achievable but for me a solid 15kn with gusts on top i would stay home instead or head out fitsroy direction for a troll around if felt the urge. Big tides this week too!.

Tinaroo might be a better bet.
    Ok thanks mate.

Thanks John, just found out that my Mum is moving to Newell, so I'll be heading out around the Snapper Is. and Daintree area as much as I can. At least then it's 9nm to Low Isles then another 8nm or so to the first reef edge, will try and stick to inshore mainly though, enough trolling and sounding and I'll wire some spots pretty quickly.

I can always have a swim and look for some crays if the fishing is slow.

Have hit a couple of blokes up about being a potential deckie for the offshore stuff but will run out to GI wreck on a nice day in my little tub, or Kings Point.

24' or so is definitely on the cards, have been looking at boats in the USA, will be going halves with a mate in a couple of years. Halving costs in everything will be nice.

Looking forward to posting some fish pics, fishing Bundy to Hinchy soon so I'll put in a trip report.
    There is a charter fisherman who puts in in the daintree and goes out with a tank of livies aroud or wide of Snapper and gets some real quality large mouth.

John

There is a charter fisherman who puts in in the daintree and goes out with a tank of livies aroud or wide of Snapper and gets some real quality large mouth.

John
    Thanks John, I've got a hummingbird SI so I plan on doing a lot of sounding around that area, should be able to find a few good wonky holes etc, can't wait! i'll post a report on here sometime.