Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Cairns wind

Re: Cairns wind

Pazz, nah I was working..navy. Sry should of mentioned that...could have been out there all night in a tinnie if you were willing to put up with 15 knots. It got better through the day too...felt like a real waste not having the freedom to fish my favourite haunts...Seabreeze is holding out quite nicely though

So this week weds looks good off Cairns hoping to get out night trip

John

So did anyone get out?

Catch any?

I'm pushing for this weekend. Won't be perfect but should be alright I hope.

Pazz

Yep Pazz took my girl out Tueaday night. Didnt go that wide though as were not sue about rain etc. Was calm but stil a bit of a swell.
    Wind went from 5 knots to 22 knots in 40 minutes on weds. morning though! so a bit of a rough trip home
    Not much fish but still a good catch i suppose. 1 Large mouth 7 kg, 1 cobia 6 kg , 2 Robinsons sea perch 3 kg and 2 kg (Beautiful fish to eat) 1 doggie mac caught on bottom and assorted smaller reefies.

Really glad we got out though Was great to have some fillet in the freefer again.

Cheers
    John

That's ok John. Better than nothing. Like you said good to have some fish in the freezer. A bad days fishing is better than a good days work.

I was watching on seabreeze I seen it jump considerably. Would have been nice to get out. Fingers crossed for the weekend.

Pazz

Yep I leave for overseas on Monday for 5 weeks so I was really glad to get out once for the winter
    Hope you do get a chance soon
    Cheers
    John

managed to sneek out tuesday arvo for acouple of hours (dodging the rain drops). Headed out near linden bank in search of some reds... huge swells pumping thru early arvo. Didn't do too well on the reds hasseled by sharks all arvo. Managed to bag 7 or so trout and a large mouth before coming home on dark.
    Hopefully seabreeze is correct and allows a few of us to get out on saturday/sunday.

Anyone been chasing any small blacks yet? might have a crack on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by chop duster View Post
    managed to sneek out tuesday arvo for acouple of hours (dodging the rain drops). Headed out near linden bank in search of some reds... huge swells pumping thru early arvo. Didn't do too well on the reds hasseled by sharks all arvo. Managed to bag 7 or so trout and a large mouth before coming home on dark.
    Hopefully seabreeze is correct and allows a few of us to get out on saturday/sunday.

Anyone been chasing any small blacks yet? might have a crack on the weekend.
    Not bad for an arvo's fishing. I'd be happy with a few for an arvo's fishing.

Is it just me, or do the sharks seem to be everywhere this year and really bad? Couple of my spots out wide I have been absolutely hammered by the bar*tards this year. One spot we fish, the old man has been going there for 25 years and has never seen it like this. They are in like massive packs. Pull up 1 or 2 fish and bang they are there everywhere swimming under the boat chasing up a bare hook.

Is it just me or are there a lot more around? Any idea why? Most specifically any idea on how to get rid of them?

Pazz

Went out Tuesday for the day, managed to scrape up 15 trout, couple of spangles and red throat and one lonely mack. Weather was good except for the rain, but the fishing was slow, hoping it will be better on Saturday night. Anyone else planning on heading out this weekend?

Ron
    Make something Idiot proof and they make better Idiots

Yer sharks seem to be worse than ever. And big bastards too! had a 3.5m bull chase half a spangeled emperor up to the boat, teased him for a while before feeding him afternoon tea.
    When you have remora's chasing your bait, it's time to move.
    We could only get cod past them, must have lost 10 or so really good fish, just couldn't get them in quick enough.

Ah Thats not good to hear. 2 years ago we were getting hammered all winter by sharks at night. Never had any trouble on Tuesday night but we were not out in the deeper water

John

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Anyone do any good on the weekend? I was stuck at work but everyone I've spoken to who got out reckoned it was pretty slow

Quote Originally Posted by scuttlebutt View Post
    Anyone do any good on the weekend? I was stuck at work but everyone I've spoken to who got out reckoned it was pretty slow
    Yeah, got out yesterday, and bagged out on trout. Will post report shortly. The wind and current made life difficult.

Pazz

Finally got out on the weekend after a few months of 20 + knots. Neap tides and fish were quiet on the whole, but still managed a half dozen total - nice trout and maori sea perch. Most people I talked to had a quiet time because of the tides, but great to have a run out there. Let's hope that it's not another few months till the next trip !!

well finally got out on the weekend and picked up a few good spaniards and a feed of trout...

trolled out around the elbow at Arlington.....15knts all day ....

look forward to getting out again weather permitting this weekend.

cheers

joey