Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: Cairns wind

Re: Cairns wind

Awesome catch odes some great fish there.

What size is that grouper? I've hooked something there on 80lb that i couldn't stop! I want to drop a gopro down there, if you've videod that wreck I'd be keen to see it, 40m is a nice breathhold.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreediver View Post
    Quick trip report from yesterday. Plan a was to hit a few wrecks in search of fingermark. Pulled up at snapper wreck with a roaring current. First dive down visibility down deep was horrendous 3 to 4m at best. The resident grouper decided to come out of the murk and get up in my grill to say hi which had me on edge in the filthy water. We persisted for while only seeing true trevaly and barracuda was too dirty for fingermark. Decided to head in to the coast for a look the water here was also filthy. Was 9 30 by this stage and decided stuff it and went to the reef. Vis was a good 20m out there was very nice. Ended up with 12 trout a few spangles and big eye sea bream.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    40m is a nice breathhold.
    Andrew comes from good diving stock Nicko. His old man/uncle have been known to dive down in the shipping channel up home and come up with a handful of sand to show they could......To me its about having the nuts to go down there on those wrecks when you've seen the ooglies and dirty big bities that live there!!!! I'll stick to where I can see the bottom...........

Hey nicko that wreck is only 28 to 30 on the mud depending on tide top of wreck is 22ish . The grouper is huge hard to estimate is terms of kilos but I have mistaken it before for a part of the wreck out on the mud. I don't think you could catch it unless you were really targeting it. He is the boss of the wreck and he doesnt really like when we intrude on him. Yer I have videoed it but to put it on here apparently I have to put it on YouTube first.

The wreck is usually very dirty down deep the bottom section of the shipping lanes has a layer of water called a nephloid layer which is basically a layer of suspended silt/mud you may have trouble getting decent footage I have only seen decent visibility there once where you could see everything. There is schools of barracuda and trevaly down there and once a few fish has been speared quite decent sized whalers live there.

Cheers for the kind words moffy that was actually me who brought up the sand haha old man doesn't really like diving the shipping channel.

Yeah I remember you did it for a bet you freak!
    Maybe Mick and I can take you to a couple of Wonky holes and get you to film them for us. I'll stay in the boat thanks!
    Seriously would love to have a look but would not get down there.
    I remember diving with your dad and Chris in the caves at whalebone. Chris dove through a cave and didn't come up for minutes and I started getting worried. Next minute he pops his head up calm as in one of the small openings no dramas at all. Very impressive. Got a few more similar stories diving with you Ives blokes.
    I think you were all born with a third lung....

Ah thought it was deeper, cool mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daintreediver View Post
    Hey nicko that wreck is only 28 to 30 on the mud depending on tide top of wreck is 22ish . The grouper is huge hard to estimate is terms of kilos but I have mistaken it before for a part of the wreck out on the mud. I don't think you could catch it unless you were really targeting it. He is the boss of the wreck and he doesnt really like when we intrude on him. Yer I have videoed it but to put it on here apparently I have to put it on YouTube first.

The wreck is usually very dirty down deep the bottom section of the shipping lanes has a layer of water called a nephloid layer which is basically a layer of suspended silt/mud you may have trouble getting decent footage I have only seen decent visibility there once where you could see everything. There is schools of barracuda and trevaly down there and once a few fish has been speared quite decent sized whalers live there.

Cheers for the kind words moffy that was actually me who brought up the sand haha old man doesn't really like diving the shipping channel.

Hey bunny yer I used to love diving with uncle chris he doesn't get out as often as he would like these days. I love hearing all the hope stories from before my time I reckon a book could be written by all the crew that used to head up there.

I've got a few wonks but haven't dived them yet mainly as they are located in dirty water areas and you only get very limited opportunities to get decent vis to dive those spots. My good mate dove one said there were several gold spot there but vis was too poor too see much else.

quick trip report for yesterday. Headed out for a half day trip plan A was to spear some new ground looking for large mouth, plan A failed no large mouth were to be seenso onto plan B. Conditions were not ideal where we were with 10-15knots of SE puffing away conditions were much better the closer to land we got. Ended up spearing a few nice fat trout in sesnational visibilty up to 30m which is the clearest ive seen in a long time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I put this post on the other thread also. Just wondering if there is any point in having both threads "who fishes out from Cairns.? " and Cairns Wind both going at the same time. Seems like we all post similar stuff on both these threads.

Would it be any point in abandoning or closing one down ( Moderator ) ? Then we'd be having all Cairns area Ausfishers communicating together ?
    Just a thought. No hidden agenda

Cheers
    John
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Bit of a long shot looking for a capable diver for a dive Tuesday Gunna be working deepish water if there any cairns area spearos reading and keen send me a pm. If anyone knows anyone who wants to go for a dive let me know.

Cheers

agree with 0odes what would we call the thread and where would we post ?

Great idea Odes, new thread here if everyone is happy with it? http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...63#post1500663