Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns wind

Re: Cairns wind

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Hey mate

Out of Cairns I usually fish around Finn and the Euston light during the day time for trout and reds. And occasionally we head north to Batt and Tongue for Reds as well.

When I go with the father in law out off Innisfail we usually hit wardle and gilbey reefs. Picked up a few good reds and trout, but like most places you have got to work for them. Also the father in law doesn't like being told what to do so that impacts on the fishing as well.

My old man grew up in Cooktown and has told me plenty of stories of fishing out off Cairns reef up there for reds and trout.

Its getting harder and harder out here off Cairns, there is just so many boats here now.

Pazz

Pazz, that's pretty much the same areas we have been fishing for the past 10 years, passage to Euston and Finn. Past years Finn done well for trout, Passage/Euston good mixed bags.
    Been out from Batt a couple of times, some Nannies drifting but no Emperor.

I think I'll be looking mainly south for new ground, maybe down towards Pellow and surrounding reefs.

My cus sends me pictures from Cooktown, they don't have to go far out and fill up on Nannies, Trout some Emperor and Macks. etc.

Hey Ivesy next time I'm up there I can pop over and help out with the computer stuff if you like. Sounds like a good excuse to catch up with a few beers!

Hey moffy love those pics of that boat on the water if those scamps went a bit quicker I'd swap it for my Haines I reckon. So many pics through my old mans photo album of those great boats anchored up at hope island for the annual trip they used to cop some floggings the old 14fters coming back in a roaring SE ahhh gotta get back up there this year. What happened to it to rot out so bad? My uncle has just finished restoring his although his was only a minor job just sanded it up and repainted it definently a great dive vessel.

Hey bunny how's it going dad said your vessel is fully restored now too I think? I worked out how to post the pic finally haha like a monkey trying to decipher hyroglyphics I will have a go later at trying to post that wreck footage up. Yer if your ever up here drop round for a chat and have a look at my pride and joy which looks like its rotting on the inside too hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreediver View Post
    What happened to it to rot out so bad?
    As simple as the floor not being kept sealed mate and it not getting a re-coat under floor as often as Barry did with his (Bunny's) - the bottom sheets were rotted out about 3/4 of the way through the 2 x 1/4 inch ply sheets where water sat and the sides were rotten along the line of the floor. 2 pieces of the 3 piece chines were very soft/gone in places - so i just kept cutting/digging/chiselling until i had sound wood to work with and have fixed it all up (hopefully....) - thought it would be a quick repair initially...........should be all good soon though.

plan on getting it back to Hope Island (with Bunny in his) one day.

Moffy

Sounds like a big job mate, nice work. If you need a third boat for Hope Island I'm keen!

Quote Originally Posted by Moffy View Post
    As simple as the floor not being kept sealed mate and it not getting a re-coat under floor as often as Barry did with his (Bunny's) - the bottom sheets were rotted out about 3/4 of the way through the 2 x 1/4 inch ply sheets where water sat and the sides were rotten along the line of the floor. 2 pieces of the 3 piece chines were very soft/gone in places - so i just kept cutting/digging/chiselling until i had sound wood to work with and have fixed it all up (hopefully....) - thought it would be a quick repair initially...........should be all good soon though.

plan on getting it back to Hope Island (with Bunny in his) one day.

Moffy

Should make a M&G of it

Just need to plan it to be calm enough to get there!!! this wind is crazy.

Absolutey! Hey, anyone using buoyweather? I use Seabreeze as a general (rough) tool then go straight to the BOM wind map, but if buoyweather is worthwhile I'll take a look.

Cheers.

And when I'm home from work, it's gonna be slim pickings trying to make a date lol :s

I use willy weather, looking at the tongue reef wind and when the arrows are green it's good enough for me. (15kts or less)

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Friday looks like the go. I snuck down the Mulgrave this morning. Cold but managed a little barra and Tarpon

starting to gear up for those big black things Scuttlebutt?

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Thompson View Post
    starting to gear up for those big black things Scuttlebutt?
    Actually went out chasing the LITTLE black things today. Had 3 bites, hooked one, had him on for about 5 minutes before he jumped off. Probably about 30kg.

guys anyone get out over the weekend? We went out yesterday conditions were ok early inclose but out wide was blowing a solid 15-20knots was pretty rough going there. Got some nice fish thoughtaken spearing.

cheers

P1010011.jpg

Nice catch!. Nah stuck at work watching the weather reports
    Might get next Thursday but its looking like another 3 weeks till I'm home.

Went out to Dunk island on Saturday morning..the mackies are pretty thick at the moment..