Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns wind

Re: Cairns wind

Hey odes were you trolling with wog heads on the gars or just as they are? I haven't tried them yet but I always hear good things.

Didn't have wog heads on. I don't need the weighted ones for depth on the Downrigger but yep I do use them for the surface ones. I had the surface one weighted, so it was prob about 1- 1.5 metres down. Tried the downrigged one at all depths. I have this brand new cannon Downrigger Electric auto stop retrieve and all which I haven't caught a fish on yet, but I will! Ive caught big trout recently one my old one trolling over 15-20 metre reef shoals at about 12 metres down with gar.

Cheers!
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

I've been using head start trolling rigs from the downrigger shop, very quick to rig and swim beautifully, best action I've seen on a gar. Going to video them underwater when i get my next camera, will post a link on here, cheers.

So have you caught anything on them Nicko?
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Unfortunately not mate, the first trip out we couldn't buy a mackerel, there was a westerly wind and the macks weren't anywhere they normally would be. Funny though as before daybreak you could see them on the sounder but as soon as the sun came up they went somewhere?!? A mate in Brisbane has been using them though on spanish and even wahoo with no dramas.

Even though I'm really quick with rigging a woghead for gar or for wolfies, these are even quicker and the action is just superb. I got one surface style skipping gar one too which should make for some pretty nice surface takes.

They're nice and light too and don't take up much room when not rigged. I've bought another four and will rig them up and freeze separately so they're good to go next trip.

I haven't been out in ages due to this bloody wind, and I only have a fairly small boat (4.8m) so I'm waiting for a nice day to do some mack trolling, then some mack jigging then some wreck hunting, can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    So have you caught anything on them Nicko?

Some guys I know headed out of Mourilyan last Saturday, the wind was down a lot more than Cairns, I might consider the drive in future.
    Last edited by Nicko_Cairns; 24-07-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: 'cause the site stuffed up and posted twice..or maybe I stuffed up.

Where is mourlian nicko? I had a google search but didn't come up with anything pointing me in the direction?

Innisfail, just south of Cairns

I heard on the radio mouyrilian had one of the busiest days at the ramp last weekend. They reckon the entire ramp and carpark was full. People were parking on the highway.

It gets crazy down there. People travelling from everywhere to have a look. Sometimes I think it is worse than Cairns, and people just don't care down there. I was fishing on a mark out in the middle of nowhere, whilst it was on the map, some ######## came right up to us and said "jesus it comes up here doesn't it" marked the spot and drove off. He was within 5-10 metres of us hooked up on this spot. Bloody idiots down there.

Pazz

Ah cheers fellas. Might have to get down there one day for a look if the weather is good.

Mate went down there on Saturday, 5 Spanish and bagged out on large mouth nannies.
    One drop and came home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    I heard on the radio mouyrilian had one of the busiest days at the ramp last weekend. They reckon the entire ramp and carpark was full. People were parking on the highway.

It gets crazy down there. People travelling from everywhere to have a look. Sometimes I think it is worse than Cairns, and people just don't care down there. I was fishing on a mark out in the middle of nowhere, whilst it was on the map, some ######## came right up to us and said "jesus it comes up here doesn't it" marked the spot and drove off. He was within 5-10 metres of us hooked up on this spot. Bloody idiots down there.

Pazz
    Hey pazz don't even start me on these types of gooses....... Its even worse for me as I purely spearfish so I have my head underwater and can't see boats coming and by the time we hear them there is no chance of getting away before they get there. Had one boat on sat come roaring over ping my mark and take off a million miles an hour. My uncles and old man etc rarely ever anchor on red marks for this reason when line fishing everyone on boat keeps watch and takes off if boat comes its amazing how many people can't find there own spot when there is a million places out there to find fish if they get within range of my gun il take a shot at their boat. Some marks I won't bother going to on a calm weekend with boats everywhere

Heard about two boats that got out, both did really well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shafter View Post
    Mate went down there on Saturday, 5 Spanish and bagged out on large mouth nannies.
    One drop and came home early.

God this kills me to here this. If I didn't get frigged around I could have got out amongst them. This time of the year is awesome.

Hey Shafter do you fish out of there much? What areas do you usually go?

Cheers
    Paz

This is what they look like Odes, not much I'll admit but they swim a treat. I've asked my wife for an early birthday present which will be a new GoPro black edition, as soon as it arrives and the wind drops I'll video rigging them up and swimming them. Should be fun.

Attachment 94958