Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns wind

Re: Cairns wind

Hi I joined this forum after reading this thread as I desperately felt it needs reviving. I haven't Been to the reef since April due to this pathetic weather run well at least on the weekends. I live in mossman and work mon to Friday only get weekends off and there hasn't been one single weekend day of 10-15knots or less since April. There have been many 10-15 forecasts for south of cairns but north is always 15-20 knots. Unless you are self employed or have very flexi job this weather is depressing for those waiting for a calm weekend day. I'm a born and bred local spearfisher and I know this is standard weather this time of the year but it doesn't make it any easier I still get very down this time of the year. Anyway sorry for my winge as a first post looks like there is plenty of cairns area locals here to share reports with and only fellow cairns people can understand how frustrating our weather systems are I feel even more sorry for the cook town boys. The forecasts Townsville and further south get make me sick they often get good forecasts. I recgonise a few on here g'day bunny how's mick and your crew coping with the weather old man been getting plenty of greys u know where ducking out early before work and the wind but none of us been out wide for a long time.

Frustration shared Andrew. Bloke at Bransfords was telling me the other day about swarms of yellow fin tuna out wide at present, but I guess only the bigger boats are seeing them at present. Like this week its gonna be above 30 knts. Whaa!

just have to keep hopin.

Cheers bud
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Agree.. Makes you want sell the boat and take up golf..

Too true I've got more hours running my new motor in the shed than on the water I reckon........

You'd want to be a bloody good golfer to be able to deal with all that wind!

Found the chain, still looking for the dog !!!!

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Yeah Daintree just have to accept the wind at this time of the year. Frustrating but that's life. A lot of guys buy big boats and then get annoyed when they can't use them for 9 months of the year. Just got to accept it. The barra are still biting though if you can get out between the rain showers. Better than nothing.

Yer when I bought my boat I wanted something big enough to go out in 10 - 15 but not so big that it costs a fortune to run. I ended up with a Haines v17r with 115 yammie 4 stroke. Most people I know with big 6-7m boats don't go out in more than 10-15 anyway. I've done quiet a few trips in 15-20 and usually regret it but desperate times call for desperate measures.

yeah I got a 625 Cruise Craft but don't go out over 20 knots. Luckily I've got a tinny for the rivers and it gets a lot more use than the Cruisey. My tip is to spend some time and learn how to catch barra (if you don't know already). There is some great Barra fishing to be had locally, even during winter. It's a hard road (took me about 3 months of constant effort before I started getting regular results) but the results are well worth it.

How then did you learn Scuttlebutt? Pushing for local knowledge from others or just your own trial and error ?
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

I managed to get out twice in the last 2 weeks. Went out last Friday at about 10am and managed 25knots all the way to low isles and then had to slow right down to get to the reef. It was a small window of weather I wasn't going to miss. We got smashed on the way home but it was kinda fun... (not for the missus). Only caught 2 sharks. Should have kept one but I let them go

Be sure the wind keeps on puffin across the FNQ all the way to us at Weipa. Its been shitty here also. Bait balls have been absent, the Pelagics have been few and far between, finesse the key to catching these toothy critters. And reefys have been on the quiet side at my usual haunts. Damn this wind, I guess I should see to that boat trailer, engine etc etc etc maintenance calling.....

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    How then did you learn Scuttlebutt? Pushing for local knowledge from others or just your own trial and error ?
    I basically went fishing in the Inlet every day for three months. Not all day, but just a couple hours. Concentrated on tide times. Cast at every snag and feature I could find until I started getting results. I had plenty of fishless trips but slowly started to figure some things out. I went fishing in the inlet 3 times last week and caught (or got busted off by) barra each time.

So bored i went and spent $2k and replaced my manifolds and risers. Last weekend I even polished and waxed the boat. Not sure what else I can do? Maybe throw lures in the pool to make sure they are swimming straight?

f@ck this wind!