Thread: Fishing Sydney to Noosa

Fishing Sydney to Noosa

Hi,

I am after any information about fishing a few places between Sydney and Noosa. I am up in Noosa for a wedding in Feb 2011 so thought what the hell, take 5 weeks off work and tow the boat from South Aus up to QLD.

I will be spending a week in Jervis Bay with the folks fishing wide for Marlin and Tuna and close in for Snapper and kings. The off to Sydney for a few days fishing the Bay and Harbour then up to Coffs Harbour via South West Rocks. I should be good for these locations as i have fished there previously a few years back. From Coffs i have no idea.

As we will be staying in Noosa for 2 weeks i am looking at fishing mainly off Mooloolaba for spanish macks, Marlin and tuna with a bit of bottom bashing off the reefs. This looks to be the best facilities for launching close to noosa.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to the best places to fish, launch the boat and distances that would be great. Looking on my chartplotter the shelf look prety close off Mooloolaba.

I have a 6.7mtr stabicraft so distance and barcrossings not a drama. I also have a lot of family members up there so prob need to do some dolphin and whale watching trips.

Thanks in advance

Re: Fishing Sydney to Noosa

You are right that Mooloolaba will nearly be the best place to work out of for you. Noosa will be ok to do the bar if the tides are run-in or top of the tide and so long as the swell is down. Good fishing off either port. Ramp wise I use Mooloolaba on Parkyn Parade as it is less effected by tide than the Buddina ramp on the south side of the river and it has more parking and 8 lanes. At Noosa I use Thomas St boat ramp Noosaville and Caloundra I use Majola St boat ramp. The species you want to chase are right for that time of year. The shelf is a long way out by southern standards. We would only think about putting lures out for blue marlin after steaming about 28Nm east. 32Nm would put you in better places off Cape Moreton or Noosa Canyons way.

Smithy,

Thanks for the advice.

I will mostly be fishing plastics, jigs and lures with all fish catch and release.

Do you know if there is somewhere in QLD i can apply for some tags for Marlin. I have some old NSW tags floating around but not to sure if they are good for QLD.

Sounds like i will concerntrate launching Mooloolaba and fish wide between Noosa and Mooloolaba and stick to the reefs for sport fish.

Cheers

I think that Feb will be a bit late for the whales.

Muzz

Tags are mostly issued throught the club system up here. Try NSW Fisheries yourself.

Stabi

If you are in Noosa Feb you will not have to go far to get into some good Pelagics. Luguna bay (noosa) is usually firing on all cylinders by Feb with great catches of Spanish and spottie Mackeral. If last summer was anything to go by you will only need to go out to Jew Shoal, Sunshine Reef, Halls reef and if you want to go a little further Double Island point is a good run on a good day. As a good side trip from noosa you could always slip up to Rainbow Beach which will take about 2 hrs drive north of Noosa and put in there and fish either the inside of Fraser Island or head out through the Bar.

Cheers

Keithy

Mate Yamba and Evans Heads is nearly always a goer ! ... Nice area to boot !