Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best eating fish

Best eating fish

Hi All

Just wondering what your thoughts were on the best eating fish. Recently had some Tusky fillets wrapped in al-foil with a sprinkle of lemon and thrown in a fire for 5 minutes. Very nice what are your thoughts??

Re: Best eating fish

almost anything that is FRESH, been looked after when caught and cooked simply.

Yep. Tuskies are pretty good.

Grass Sweetlip suit my taste pretty damn well though. They are probably my favourite.

The most popular fish to catch, of course, is snapper but I don't get so very excited by the taste of snapper. I would prefer grassies and tuskies any day and indeed won't walk past a plate of tailor or mackerel either.

can't do no wrong with Tusky fillets. Any fish but snapper, trevs should be ok. Bit partial to some Coral Trout filllets though.
    Duck

Flathead & Amberjack ... simply done in breadcrumb or cornflake crumb in fine by me.

Matt

Fresh Coral Trout in breadcrumbs will put a horn on a jellyfish in my opinion.

Followed closely by fresh grunter/javelinfish in egg and flower too.

Pazz

Basa just delicious

freshly caught and cared for yellowfin tuna.
    Grilled medium rare with dill sauce and sweet potatoes.mmmm!
    Only wish we had a bit more of a yellowfin fishery on the gold coast!

All fish can be prepared to taste good and their flavours enhanced as required. The French developed Bouillabaisse out of basically just rubbish fish and crustaceans add white wine to a mixed slurry, soup it, heat it and voila!!!

Try using curry as well on the more basic fish such as shark and snapper (although snapper can be enhanced with many other flavours such as lemon grass, dijon sauce etc.

Grab hold of a fish cook book and look at the sauces - they are the key, HOWEVER all said and done, fresh fish fried in egg/breadcrumbs is too hard to beat.
    Cheers
    Plato
    Last edited by Platitudinus; 12-07-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: font change

The 48cm mangrove jack I caught Saturday and ate for dinner last night was simply perfection, shallow fried in peanut oil with only a dusting of flour and salt.
    Jack.

Grilled Flounder/Sole.

I don't think you can find a sweeter fish.

Couldn't be simpler to cook - Just sprinkle with salt and pop it under the grill.

Peel the skin back and fork the flesh away from the bones.

Turn it over and do it again.

My next fav is amberjack with a little garlic butter & dill.

Then bbq'd small flattie fillets. The larger ones are not as good.

I don't mind buying a kipper or two for a feed either...

1. Fresh coral trout cannot be beaten......tastes like lollies
    2. Bar cod, nearly the best fish that there is
    3. Tuskies/pig fish/groper.......

All the rest are good, but these are the BEST.

Muzz

Out of the Bay fish I rate Tuskies, Lizards and Whiting at the top of my food chain followed by Cod, Sweetlip (not Spanglies) and Macs (Spotty and spanish). I rate Snapper a level lower again along with Bream, Tailor and Doggies.
    Offshore I am partial to Pearl Pearch and in reef country the Trout are hard to beat (its been so long since my last legal Red that I cant honestly rate them)

They are all good tucker but some flavours and textures just appeal to me a bit more
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Carp and burnt Yam ,can't beat it mate .

Whiting -

pearlies -

yellowfin (any fish you can start fanging into on the cleaning table has got to be good)